"Joe Dirt" 98 GMC 2wd RCSB #autocross

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like to say:
If it works, it works. I think it looks tanfastic....and just makes me want to lower mine even more.

I have to say, the ride is 100 times better with the coil overs up front and the ride height adjustability is awesome! I can't praise them enough and the cost really was not that bad considering. Not to mention, they are bolt in.... Well worth every cent.

The hardest part was really just trimming my LCAs so the 15" wheels would work. I cant wait to put some bigger wheels and wide low pro tires so I can really hang some corners with it.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you got a pic of how much you had to trim?

I sure dont... and, how much you will need to trim off your stock LCA is based on what spindles you have (they all move the width of your wheels a little) and the backspacing on your wheels. I am not a fan of trimming the LCA but, gotta do what you gotta do.... It ain't custom till you break out the cutting wheel and welder!

Mine are stock 15x7s and I have McGaughys 2" drop spindles.... My issues may differ from yours based on those variables. With this setup, I had interference with the steering knuckle on the spindle as well.... had to run a 1/4" spacer behind my wheel and trim quite a bit of the gutter on the LCA if I had to guess, I went back at least 2.5-3" or so. I turned the wheel full motion and marked it... then went a little more for safe measure. I still had to go in and do a little more by doing that.

A pair of 17" or bigger wheels will solve all those issues but, I am not there yet. Can't decide which wheels I want so, to be continued... LOL

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
yeah i will be running 17x8's all around, at least with 1 set. I have my 454SS wheels(15x7 0et) I will be doing belltech spindles and Aldan coils front and beltech drop leafs and 1" drop shackle rear for a 4/5 drop total.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i will be running 17x8's all around, at least with 1 set. I have my 454SS wheels(15x7 0et) I will be doing belltech spindles and Aldan coils front and beltech drop leafs and 1" drop shackle rear for a 4/5 drop total.

Since you are hijacking my build thread... lol You may run into issues with the belltech spindles. They are known for poking the wheels out more than most spindles... good for clearance on the inside but, depending on tire sizes and how low you are, the fenders become an issue. Thankfully, the Aldans are adjustable and you can adjust as needed but it could keep you from dropping the front as low as you want. Again, depends on wheels and tires. 5" in the back is gonna crush your soul... That frame is gonna be so close to the axle, mine as well just flip it and notch it and get it over with. I tried to not notch and then said F-it and just went for it. I am so much happier and glad I can adjust the back now with shackles. My 2 cents.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lookie what I have... if you dont know what this is and why it is a unicorn part... you don't have a GMT400! LOL

Its a brand new - not rebuilt Aircore "F" motor - basically, the fuel gauge.

Time to crack open my gauge cluster, transfer the capacitor and finally have a working gauge!

You must be registered for see images attach

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FINALLY... I have a working Fuel Guage... no more counting miles to fill up! If you are in need... contact US DashWorks! Carl rebuilds the Stepper motors and sells them on ebay. I just contacted him directly at:

Carl [email protected]

They are $50 with a $50 core charge and they are wicked easy to change!!!

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn, I love GM trucks.. all of them but, I am tired of the industry and how much things are costing these days. It is OUT OF CONTROL! Yes, I get it, materials, labor cost, production, shipping costs blah blah blah *they are still making a killing off of us! For example, belltech shock extenders, $70... REALLY? its a damn bracket. sorry...

I can't financially keep up anymore. I have a family, a house, and bills... just plain and simple give up... over it.. All of you that do it, Good On Ya... I had a long run of a lot of dope rides but... life comes first. It's so hard to watch all these sponsored builds and big bankroll trucks that are hitting the streets these days. I sink so much time and money into my toys and I am having a hard time seeing the happiness in trying to keep it up anymore. I have the talent, skills, and passion but, without the funds, it makes life so much harder!

The struggle is real!

I sold my 98 GMC the other day and it hurt at the same time it freed my soul.

Good luck to all and I will still check in to watch other home-builds that I enjoy on here.

...and MOST OF ALL, Thank you to all that helped me along the way with advice and guidance! You are the backbone of all this.

Last edited:

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn, I love GM trucks.. all of them but, I am tired of the industry and how much things are costing these days. It is OUT OF CONTROL! Yes, I get it, materials, labor cost, production, shipping costs blah blah blah *they are still making a killing off of us! For example, belltech shock extenders, $70... REALLY? its a damn bracket. sorry...

I can't financially keep up anymore. I have a family, a house, and bills... just plain and simple give up... over it.. All of you that do it, Good On Ya... I had a long run of a lot of dope rides but... life comes first. It's so hard to watch all these sponsored builds and big bankroll trucks that are hitting the streets these days. I sink so much time and money into my toys and I am having a hard time seeing the happiness in trying to keep it up anymore. I have the talent, skills, and passion but, without the funds, it makes life so much harder!

The struggle is real!

I sold my 98 GMC the other day and it hurt at the same time it freed my soul.

Good luck to all and I will still check in to watch other home-builds that I enjoy on here.

...and MOST OF ALL, Thank you to all that helped me along the way with advice and guidance! You are the backbone of all this.
I hate to see you go. I've enjoyed your posts. I agree totally with you on the cost of everything being out of control. It's never been a cheap hobby but this has gotten totally crazy. Please continue to check in and share your knowledge. Thank you

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate to see you go. I've enjoyed your posts. I agree totally with you on the cost of everything being out of control. It's never been a cheap hobby but this has gotten totally crazy. Please continue to check in and share your knowledge. Thank you

I am humbled... thank you so much for your kind words. I love GM trucks to the bone and have always been the home builder making do with what I could get my hands on here in Hawaii. Shipping costs out here have gotten outrageous and as I mentioned - parts have gotten so crazy, I just dont want to play the game of keeping up anymore. I just can't get my head around how companies justify these costs. That said, I know it is an expensive hobby. Look at my list of cars below.... I am positive I lost more money than I made on 80% of them.

I have been here before mentally and ended up coming back to my passion. I don't think I can ever let it totally go - I will also be on here to help and assist others for sure. I LOVE garage builds... Never been into the big dollar stuff. Nice to look at but, not my tax bracket. Nor would I want a truck I have to trailer or be scared to take anywhere. Trucks are utility, that's why they are cool!!!! Anyway... thank you. This made my day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJost