Issues on two GMT400 plow trucks, 350/80E and 454/80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've posted this in a few different places now but haven't found much help, figured I'd post it here.

My dad and I have two GMT400s that we plow with, his is a 98 k2500 350/80E and mine is a 2000 k2500 454/80E. We both noticed that ever since last year plowing, when you've worked the trucks for about an hour or so and everything is up to working temp, there's seems to be a reverse "issue". When you put them both in reverse and gently push the gas pedal, they almost seem like they're in a very mild limp-mode with maybe half power until they got about 10mph/20-30ft and THEN they act like normal (normal power in regards to how much the gas pedal is pressed). If you push the gas harder right when you put it in reverse, it acts normal and goes back with full (and quite a bit of) power. This is annoying though and we'd both like to get it figured out. My dads has about 5k on his rebuilt trans, and I just got mine done earlier this month. I was thinking it may have been a trans issue but nothing has changed after the rebuild. Both trucks also have a surging issue sometimes as well, where you'll change gears and the rpms will go up, then back down.
Anything stupid/simple/to check for? This is a first for both of these trucks. Weird they're doing it at the same time. All forward gears work fine with no issues, reverse works fine if you're not plowing with them. Trans fluid in both are full and clean/not burned. No CELs on either truck.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've posted this in a few different places now but haven't found much help, figured I'd post it here.

My dad and I have two GMT400s that we plow with, his is a 98 k2500 350/80E and mine is a 2000 k2500 454/80E. We both noticed that ever since last year plowing, when you've worked the trucks for about an hour or so and everything is up to working temp, there's seems to be a reverse "issue". When you put them both in reverse and gently push the gas pedal, they almost seem like they're in a very mild limp-mode with maybe half power until they got about 10mph/20-30ft and THEN they act like normal (normal power in regards to how much the gas pedal is pressed). If you push the gas harder right when you put it in reverse, it acts normal and goes back with full (and quite a bit of) power. This is annoying though and we'd both like to get it figured out. My dads has about 5k on his rebuilt trans, and I just got mine done earlier this month. I was thinking it may have been a trans issue but nothing has changed after the rebuild. Both trucks also have a surging issue sometimes as well, where you'll change gears and the rpms will go up, then back down.
Anything stupid/simple/to check for? This is a first for both of these trucks. Weird they're doing it at the same time. All forward gears work fine with no issues, reverse works fine if you're not plowing with them. Trans fluid in both are full and clean/not burned. No CELs on either truck.
I was recently surfing around because my 80e was going into rever slowly... this seems to be a common issue and this guy does a good job of explaining it... "simple" problem but not an easy fix

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media