ISO: Daily Driver Suggestions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmndlt

Reaction score
Hey All, Interesting times in the vehicle market up here in the North. Is it the same down there?

Have a unique opportunity to get rid of my 2018 GMC now for exactly what I commited and be done with payments. Considering using my 88 C3500 RCLB for work instead, although 2wd is less than ideal for canadian (Alberta) winters. I've seen a lot of tahoes, yukons which would allow some cargo space and 4wd.

Any suggestions on what you're driving and what kind of life expectancy/work to be done for a relatively reliable DD?

Appreciate any feedback.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 3 vehicles on the road. 2 are lifted, one lowered. One lifted needs rear calipers, other needs a motor change. The other is my daily since I got it last summer, 98 Tahoe 4 door lowered 2wd. Had 202K I think when I got it. I drove that all but one or two days in the winter, when we had over a foot of snow. I live on a steep hill, and tho the town takes decent care of the road, I plow the roads for NYSDOT, and am on the road long before the town is. I never got stuck, (take that back, my driveway) on the roads at all. I love 4 door Tahoe/Yukons. I lived in Ottawa for 2 years, never had a 4wd n never had any problems.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Welcome from Kentucky!
What type of driving do you expect to do with the truck? Lots of miles? Decent roads? Gravel or dirt roads?
Being a C3500, I can say that putting 136kg-227kg in the bed over the rear wheels will change the ride and traction.
Normal maintenance (tune-up, fluids and filters, belt and hoses), and a tool kit with some essential spare parts is always a good idea.
Luckily, my C3500 doesn't have to be a daily driver, so the <10 MPG isn't too much of a concern.

My truck spent its first 272,000 miles as a county road department truck for Indiana. I don't think I'll be as hard on it, lol!