Is z56 an urban legend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
BTW some relevant information, it appears the Tahoe w/police package was first offered in 1998, in 4 door, 2WD form only. From the brochure...

"All right, where's the fire?" "The next time you check your rear view mirror and observe a police cruiser behind you, it could be something other than the typical full-size passenger car. It might be a new Chevy Tahoe equipped with the new Police Package. Tahoe has the basic building blocks that police departments traditionally demand: rear wheel drive, powerful engine, roomy interior and a tough, full-perimeter frame. Some additional features that differentiate the police version from the civilian Tahoe: Spotlights and extra dome light, Certified 130mph speedometer, Power steering cooler, P235/70/R15 tires on 15x8 black steel wheels with chrome center cap, Heavy duty alternator with auxiliary battery power terminal, Inoperative inside rear door handles, Rear air conditioning, Vinyl seats and floor mats, Heavy duty springs, tuned shock absorbers, and front and rear stabilizer bars, Locking differential"

(The alternator is a CS144 @ 140A, the rear end seems to only be offered with 3.08 gears, presumably to be able to approach that 130 mph top speed)

However, NOWHERE in the packet do I see reference to an RPO code related to the police equipment. Maybe because it's not available for civilian ordering/purchase?

The 1999 Tahoe info shows the same basic specs on the Police Package model but since it's just the regular specs page there's no mention of the 130 speedo, inop door handles, blah blah. I mean you know they're gonna be there, just no descriptive list as the 1998 info has since they're introducing the package. Again, no reference to an RPO code for it.

(Unrelated to the police models but the Tahoe Z71 and Tahoe Limited models that we're familiar with were already mentioned in the 1999 brochure, but were only offered in 2000.)

Richard

Horntoad

Reaction score
Never heard of one till now.
Decoding that VIN: 1GNLC2E0XER223987

1: United States
G: General Motors
N: Chevrolet SUV
L: GVWR 16,001-19,500
C: 4x2 full size
2: ¾-ton 2500
E: Active safety belts, front airbags, side airbags for the first row of seats, and ceiling for the back row
0: 5.3L 8-cyl LMG Flex-fuel
X: check digit
E: 2014
R: Arlington, TX plant

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
BTW some relevant information, it appears the Tahoe w/police package was first offered in 1998, in 4 door, 2WD form only. From the brochure...

"All right, where's the fire?" "The next time you check your rear view mirror and observe a police cruiser behind you, it could be something other than the typical full-size passenger car. It might be a new Chevy Tahoe equipped with the new Police Package. Tahoe has the basic building blocks that police departments traditionally demand: rear wheel drive, powerful engine, roomy interior and a tough, full-perimeter frame. Some additional features that differentiate the police version from the civilian Tahoe: Spotlights and extra dome light, Certified 130mph speedometer, Power steering cooler, P235/70/R15 tires on 15x8 black steel wheels with chrome center cap, Heavy duty alternator with auxiliary battery power terminal, Inoperative inside rear door handles, Rear air conditioning, Vinyl seats and floor mats, Heavy duty springs, tuned shock absorbers, and front and rear stabilizer bars, Locking differential"

(The alternator is a CS144 @ 140A, the rear end seems to only be offered with 3.08 gears, presumably to be able to approach that 130 mph top speed)

However, NOWHERE in the packet do I see reference to an RPO code related to the police equipment. Maybe because it's not available for civilian ordering/purchase?

The 1999 Tahoe info shows the same basic specs on the Police Package model but since it's just the regular specs page there's no mention of the 130 speedo, inop door handles, blah blah. I mean you know they're gonna be there, just no descriptive list as the 1998 info has since they're introducing the package. Again, no reference to an RPO code for it.

(Unrelated to the police models but the Tahoe Z71 and Tahoe Limited models that we're familiar with were already mentioned in the 1999 brochure, but were only offered in 2000.)

Richard
I would have figured that Chevy wouldn't have needed to have a police package available for other vehicles until after '96 since they still had Caprice and Impala for that. And an Impala SS is just a sexy cop car....
HPD used to have some Z56 Tahoes, I remember seeing one always parked by the Travis HQ building back when the truck wasn't that old. My job in the late 90s and early 00s had me going downtown every Friday afternoon, and the trip usually took us by the cop shop. I remember seeing it, sitting there in its bright blue paint, ready to chase speeders....
The ground floor used to have a small HPD museum, with the '52 Ford squad car and uniforms and weapons. Don't know if it's still there; only saw it once when I had to go pick up the accident report when our other '99 Burb got smacked.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would have figured that Chevy wouldn't have needed to have a police package available for other vehicles until after '96 since they still had Caprice and Impala for that. And an Impala SS is just a sexy cop car....
HPD used to have some Z56 Tahoes, I remember seeing one always parked by the Travis HQ building back when the truck wasn't that old. My job in the late 90s and early 00s had me going downtown every Friday afternoon, and the trip usually took us by the cop shop. I remember seeing it, sitting there in its bright blue paint, ready to chase speeders....
The ground floor used to have a small HPD museum, with the '52 Ford squad car and uniforms and weapons. Don't know if it's still there; only saw it once when I had to go pick up the accident report when our other '99 Burb got smacked.
I used to go to that HQ building for my city-required car snatchin' badges each year, I'm pretty sure the museum is still there but I never spent much time hanging around in the building. I'm somewhat allergic to law enforcement and only went there for as long as absolutely necessary, plus needing to get home and get to sleep so I could work the next night. That function (HPD auto dealers detail) moved to the Permitting Center next to the Amtrak station several years ago, so thankfully no more trips to HQ. Parking was also a pain for HQ having to squeeze a wrecker into the tiny pay-lot spots in the area.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I used to go to that HQ building for my city-required car snatchin' badges each year, I'm pretty sure the museum is still there but I never spent much time hanging around in the building. I'm somewhat allergic to law enforcement and only went there for as long as absolutely necessary, plus needing to get home and get to sleep so I could work the next night. That function (HPD auto dealers detail) moved to the Permitting Center next to the Amtrak station several years ago, so thankfully no more trips to HQ. Parking was also a pain for HQ having to squeeze a wrecker into the tiny pay-lot spots in the area.

Richard
Yup driving the crew cab I can definitely relate to the parking problems! Anything in downtown Houston is an issue with that, especially with any vehicle bigger than a Mini Cooper....
That's one reason I was glad my friends in the model car club arranged for close parking for the Auto Rama weekend. Between the three families, the smallest vehicle is my friend Bernard's Colorado crew cab.