Is this the wrong filter for my 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone I’m doing a filter/fluid change on my 1988 700r4 trans and the new filter that said it would fit at advance auto looks completely different then my old one. My old one is the chunkier square one and the new one is more of a rectangle shape, are these interchangeable? I bought the ac Delco filter and everything
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 5A96493F-3432-4957-86ED-0C1D060F15EB.jpeg
    5A96493F-3432-4957-86ED-0C1D060F15EB.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 4

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1988 with the 700R4 uses the filter on the right. I couldn't tell you if they are interchangeable or not.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one on the left looks like the one in my TH400. (Also called the 3L80 in my '88 2500 6-lugger)
What does the pan gasket look like?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I would use this one;

But if you want AC Delco use;

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me I changed a trans filter on one of my vehicles, and the filter kit had a note in it saying the filter may not look like the one that came out. GM "updated" the filter.

Then there's the difference between "regular pan" and "deep pan" filters. Are the tubes the same overall height? Or is one filter taller than the other?

The one on the left looks like the one in my TH400. (Also called the 3L80 in my '88 2500 6-lugger)
What does the pan gasket look like?
Wouldn't a TH400/3L80 filter have the tube on the corner of the filter; and attach to the valve body with a single bolt? Or did that get "updated", too?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems to me I changed a trans filter on one of my vehicles, and the filter kit had a note in it saying the filter may not look like the one that came out. GM "updated" the filter.

Then there's the difference between "regular pan" and "deep pan" filters. Are the tubes the same overall height? Or is one filter taller than the other?

Wouldn't a TH400/3L80 filter have the tube on the corner of the filter; and attach to the valve body with a single bolt? Or did that get "updated", too?

No, you're right. I looked up the part on Rockauto after you commented. I have no idea what application the left side filter is in O.P.s pic.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score

This is a TH400 filter;

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok everyone turns out the filter I bought was a 4l60e filter not a 700R4 filter. And no they are not interchangeable unfortunately. I’ll take it back and get the new one tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the help, maybe this thread can help someone in the future

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
doesn't matter the brand, get the filter that has a "FILTRAN" or "SP" or "SPX" stamped on it..This is what GM used. Last Delco filter i bought said this. Apparently even the Fram ones do too.