Is This Motor Healthy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimBriggs

Reaction score
I purchased a 99 Tahoe with a 5.7 to rob the rear axle for, for my 99 Tahoe that the previous owner didn't install the wheel bearing correctly. With that being said, the motor in the spare parts truck supposedly only has 25k miles on it since rebuild, the engine itself definitely makes that statement seem true.
What I know so far about it: Camshaft Position Code (looks like it was replaced), exhaust is pretty much open header (P.O. removed about a 6-8" section of exhaust between the pre-cat O2 sensors and the cat), has a "new" ECU and the security light is on and the wiring harness is pretty hacked up.
Headphone users be warned.

You must be registered for see images

https://i.imgur.com/8b7rpfR.mp4
I will be doing a compression test on it here once we start swapping the axles and if this motor is healthy we will be swapping it into my Tahoe, as I'm not sure of the history of it and it feels like its down on power.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Link doesn't work. Had to edit after reading further. So security light is on but it stays running? Weird. I remember my truck was so loud open header that I couldn't tell if it was gutless or not. It seemed like it was, so maybe that's all that's going on. God it sounded redneck. Not good redneck either, ignorant redneck that nobody likes.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the motor in the spare parts truck supposedly only has 25k miles on it since rebuild, the engine itself definitely makes that statement seem true.
What I know so far about it: Camshaft Position Code (looks like it was replaced), exhaust is pretty much open header (P.O. removed about a 6-8" section of exhaust between the pre-cat O2 sensors and the cat), has a "new" ECU and the security light is on and the wiring harness is pretty hacked up.
Given the horse-**** workmanship of the other stuff you've detailed, do you really trust the previous owner to have done the engine work properly?

Verify EVERYTHING, including having an oil sample analyzed by a competent lab.

JimBriggs

Reaction score
Given the horse-**** workmanship of the other stuff you've detailed, do you really trust the previous owner to have done the engine work properly?

Verify EVERYTHING, including having an oil sample analyzed by a competent lab.
I definitely don't trust the previous owner in rebuilding this properly. With that being said, I bought the entire truck for the rear axle, which is in good condition. Everything else was a bonus to sell/reuse later on. It has a P0341 code for the camshaft position sensor. Voltage gauge bounces between 9v and 17v, it's a wiring nightmare.