Is this common?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSmith

Reaction score
As you can see in the pictures, it cracked by the power steering. Common issue or am I just lucky? Lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would guess lucky you, or, previous damage from accident or failed pump, or.loose pump. Or, a brace/bracket missing or loose mounting bolts. Or any other support bracket like AC. I've never seen that failure without wreck damage. Probably find one on ebay for almost minimal...?
You might take a look at Astro 4.3 front accessory mounts. They are seriously heavy duty. They will first your engine, but might relocate the AC. . Not sure what engine you have. I dropped an LT4 into an Astro Van and used the drivers side accessory mount. Fit the LT4 aluminum bolt pattern. Who'da thunk?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've heard it mentioned that they crack, but have no direct experience with it myself. I don't recall if the comment was directed at the small block or big block. Later small block brackets are cast aluminum, and the big block cast iron.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen more than one engine with that (or similar) bracket system crack the smaller PS bracket, so that the pump wasn't braced to the exhaust bolt.

Once that smaller bracket goes, I suppose it would put more vibration into the big, main bracket.

In MY shop, that'd be a .7 hour job to drill and prep, weld the crack closed, grind it to look pretty, paint the result, and inspect the other brackets and mounts for similar problems. I bet you find other cracks.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Yes it was fairly common. You can weld it up and will be go to go. Make sure that the support braces for the P/S pump are properly installed and in correct alignment.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The steel bracket was notorious for this. Use the 91 and later aluminium brackets and you're good to go.