Is this a rare color combo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

That1997GMC

Reaction score
I have a 1997 GMC Sierra 1500, the code in the glove box matches laguna green but it has a 2 tone tan color from just above the badge strip along the sides of the truck. My step-dad bought it used in 2007 and it was stock, other than the wheels and I was wondering if the paint was stock or not. I have seen Chevy's and other GMC's from the 1988 to 1998 body style painted the laguna green color, but none of them have the tan across the bottom like mine. This is why I'm asking, thank you.

You must be registered for see images attach

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM Paint codes will typically have a U (upper) and an L (lower) designator. See if your SPID label has an L followed by a number.

Welcome to the forum.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I've seen that color combo quite a bit up here in MI. It's not as common as the main color itself but I have seen it... I don't see two tone trucks with the stripe along the middle too much, especially blues or the classic red & white. I've seen more red & white Ford trucks (I love those..) than Chevy/GMC's despite it being a good look for either truck.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1997 had both laguna green and emerald green and IMO there's not a lot of difference. 1998 dropped laguna green but here's an emerald green and light autumnwood 1998 Suburban:

As 89RCLB mentioned you should see both paint codes on your glovebox label (SPID label) as U(upper color #) and L(lower color #)

Here's an example, the SPID label from that Suburban:

Richard

jnewkirk77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind a dealer would often paint (or have painted, if they didn't have their own body shop) any vehicle to make a sale. My uncle wanted a two-tone blue '99 1500 Classic when they wouldn't build one at the factory. The dealer said, "Which blue do you like best?" and gave him a choice. Body shop did the job and you couldn't tell it from a factory finish. But the SPID didn't have the lower color.

jnewkirk77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As to not make another thread because now I’m curious... is mine rare ish at all?

I don't know how rare it is, but it's been a few years (20?) since I've seen another like it. Back then, you could get that color scheme with a red interior, too, which also looks nice.