Is there any way to make the shifter tighter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
your talking something like this....? I dont remember this whatsoever but I R&R that transmission in a 1994 Burb ten years ago. I know the burbs and the pickups are slightly different so maybe that has something to do with it. I dont remember this part at all and the 94 Burb is long gone.

sorry for any confusion.

Al

You must be registered for see images attach

justonebehr

Reaction score
It’s not the spring that’s the issue, it springs back into place just fine, but it’s moving from R to N to D etc that is loose. The vertical movement not the horizontal movement.

Just looking to clarify; the design that I recall for the column shifter is:
Pull required to move from P to R (two motions to disengage Park)
Pull required to move from R to P (two motions to re-engage Park)
No pull required to rotate from R to N (can drop from R to N with one motion)
No pull required to rotate from N to OD (can engage OD from N with one motion)
No pull required to rotate from OD to N (can drop from OD to N with one motion)
Pull required to rotate from N to R (two motions required to get back into R from N, can't just rotate from OD into R in error)
Pull required for each rotate into D, 2, 1. Just rotate back up the other direction.

If this is what you are experiencing and it the rotations you want to stiffen up, the only way to stiffen the inter-gear rotation resistance (as it's not in the column) is to open the txmission and replace a spring of the internal linkage.