Is there a way to wire up a button to manually turn my converter lockup off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuscanlazers

Reaction score
My truck is a dog in 4th gear with lockup when I'm going under 65, is there a way for me to wire a button to manually disable tc lockup? Or is this an absolutely horrid idea?

I have a 94 k1500 350,4l60e 3.42 gears. It's pretty hilly and I don't tow at the moment.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can wire up an override. It's not a horrid idea, but it's not a good solution. You didn't state your year, model, engine, transmission so we can help you find the right wiring diagram to work from.

A better solution is to figure out why your truck is such a dog and tackle that. Tires too big? Need more torque.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What transmission?

I know @letitsnow has done it on one his trucks. Maybe he can pitch in.

What truck/combo is this? Are you towing or hilly area? Maybe you should consider re-gear?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What engine? Gear ratio? What's the history with the truck? Just bought it?

The more information, the better guys here can give you good advice in helping you out.

Edit: I see your engine...

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What transmission?

I know @letitsnow has done it on one his trucks. Maybe he can pitch in.

What truck/combo is this? Are you towing or hilly area? Maybe you should consider re-gear?

I did it to my '98 s10 zr2, which has 4.3/4l60e/3.73/31" tires.

On my truck it was pretty easy. I found the wire (goes from the ecm to the transmission) that is GROUNDED to trigger the tcc lock solenoid. I cut that wire, tucked the loose end from the ecm back into the harness, then spliced off the other end (that goes to trans) into the cab hooked up to a toggle switch with the other side of the switch hooked up to ground.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is a dog in 4th gear with lockup when I'm going under 65, is there a way for me to wire a button to manually disable tc lockup? Or is this an absolutely horrid idea?

I have a 94 k1500 350,4l60e 3.42 gears. It's pretty hilly and I don't tow at the moment.
If your torque converter doesn’t lock up you’re going to build more heat. Not a good idea for a crappy transmission like the 4L60