Is it me is imagination drying up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel there is a lack of creativity in the world.
I mean there is no radical custom stuff. No one going i think plaid would look good on the headliner.
Sure the Internet is changing my thinking that there is creativity out there.
Especially when someone mentioned a caddy 500 swap on a truck.
I feel like people are too afraid of what would other people think or it is impossible. Nothing really is impossible you just gotta set your mind to it

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a lack of imagination, it's a lack of funding. This isn't a comment towards any political party or figure, prices of everything have been steadily increasing with wages remaining relatively stagnant over the past 3 decades. Folks simply don't have the buying power we did in the 90's...

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I'm leaning on the lack of funding to be honest but also you guys think there's always broke people who has the brain power to make anything possible happen.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'm leaning on the lack of funding to be honest but also you guys think there's always broke people who has the brain power to make anything possible happen.
Yes, as the saying goes "necessity is the mother of invention" in other words if you need something done bad enough you'll figure out how to make it happen.
We also live in a time of instant gratification which conditions people into expecting ever more immediate answers and solutions.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, as the saying goes "necessity is the mother of invention" in other words if you need something done bad enough you'll figure out how to make it happen.
We also live in a time of instant gratification which conditions people into expecting ever more immediate answers and solutions.
Amen

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you hit the nail on the head here. This is just my personnal take on whats happened so I am not judging anyone else. Thinking back to the early days, that's the 60s and 70s for us older folks, there wasn't the endless aftermarket range of stuff available. Guys would go to the wreckers yard and wander around getting inspiration and go home with a trailer load of parts that they would assemble at home in a way only they could visualize. Then they would hand make the rest of the pieces needed to bring it all together into a functioning motor vehicle that was unlike anything on the road, think Ed Roth etc. Today we have so much available that we have maybe got lazy or we have lost our imaginations so that now we can just sit down with a catalogue and write a shopping list of parts that just bolt on an we call that custom. Unfortunately, this way costs a truck load of cash so it appears that we can't afford to do proper customs but that's just because we are looking at the problem from the wrong direction. I also think the proliferation of custom and hotrod shows on TV where they have pull down a donor vehicle and then wait for the delivery truck to arrive with the latest and greatest parts to put it back together with has added to the problem as well. So that's my 10 cents worth.