Is it easier to put a 2002 ls out of a suburban into a 96 or 93?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have a 1996 Tahoe two door
Have a 93 stepside
Have a ls motor from suburban. First time I would be removing installing engine... which would it match up with best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Since your 96 is a Vortec, putting a TBI in wouldn't be worth it IMO.

I believe you would have to reprogram the computer to make it work with the TBI, if you were to go down with that route, same goes with the LS.

The LS motor has been proven to better than the 5700 Vortec and lots of people have swapped them in to their trucks. There should be some threads on here or on the internet somewhere that would have a write up on that. :)

But nonetheless, I would do the LS swap to be completely honest.

Reaction score
Motor mounts are very similar between those two trucks and the aftermarket is plentiful with adapter mounts and every other part to put an LS into an obs Chevy, either way you go you have to have (total guess here) a 4l80e transmission to work with the ecu on that Ls if it's the 5.3 that came in like a 2003 ish sub or pickup. If you dont have the harness for the motor and youre gonna do a msd computer with a carb or something like that then really the only thing you have to deal with is engine and trans mounting which you're kinda in the same boat for both vehicles. My pick would be the tahoe because the interior is nicer

Last edited:

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the 96 would be the easiest. fitment wise it would be the same, but when it comes down to making the electronics in the truck work the 96 would be easier. the 4l60e in the 96 would be plug and play with the ls harness and pcm. it only takes 4 total connections to the ls fuse box and engine to make it run, electronically. a fuse box main 12 volt b+, a key on 12 volt to the a9 terminal on the c2 connector I believe it is and a crank signal to the starter signal wire. bam it runs. the trans part of the wiring harness would be plug and play and then the ls harness and pcm would be in control of the transmission. the rest is details. ICT billet makes adaptor plates for $35. since its a 01 donor truck the flywheel should be of the concaved style, ict billet makes a converter snub adaptor so the converter will engage with the crank, the converter bolt holes will be the same. I just did my 99 and it is a fairly easy swap!

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$650 for the motor harness ecm complete. 86k miles Heard it running so I know it’s good.. what in your guestimate costs altogether for this swap let’s say into the 96?

I would also throw the 96 engine into the 93 which is a total other project

99burbK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so I put a 4.8 in mine and ill just brake the cost down.

engine w/harness,pcm,fuse box etc $525
swap motor mount adaptors $35 ict billet
crank extender for converter $35ish ict billet
passkey delete from pcm $75, I also had a tune done and a segment swap for my 4l80e transmission since mines a 2500. so I had more in mine.
not needed but long tube headers $255
fuel line adaptors $65ish. mates vortec fuel lines to the ls rail. plug and play.

pretty sure that's it cost wise. stock vortec throttle cable works with out any modification. trim down heater hoses and they go right on the water pump, their even the right sizes! I modified my lower vortec rad hose. the upper hose from the donor truck will work. the ls fan fits inside the fan shroud. other than that its all wiring and getting the exhaust hooked up. I was going to use the manifolds and had about a foot in a half of the exhaust off the donor truck and was going to graft that and my exhaust together but the manifolds were warped so I bought pace setter long tubes for the 2000-2007.5 body style and used those. had to trim the inspection plate shield nub off the side of my trans and they fit fine. just barley touches the frame on the driver side. doesn't even rattle. just needs a SMALL dent. I ran a 12 volt b+ to the main power on the ls fuse block, a 12 volt key on to the a9 terminal on the c1 connector, used the trucks factory signal wire for the starter so my key turns the engine over, and ran a jumper to the fuse box from the fuel pump relay on the truck to the relay in the ls box to power the fuel pump up. truck runs. its that easy man. the speedo on the truck will work if you splice the vss wires from the truck into the vss wires from the ls harness. the oil pressure gauge will work if you splice the trucks oil pressure wires to the ls oil pressure wires, they use a sensor that's identical to the vortec 350 the thread pitch is just different. for the ect I used a 98 ls1 three wire sensor and pigtail and spliced that all together. you can run a wire off the ls pcm to make the tach work, I havnt done that yet. but the output signal will need changed for a correct reading. this is how I did it, there are cleaner ways. it was just easiest for me this way. lt1swap.com will be your best friend!!!

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$1000.......
i'm got 7 hours into redoing the harness,it is done though.
i'm over 2500 doing this swap,there is alot of nickle and dime stiff that adds up,but i did new exhaust,knock sensors,ac delco knock harness a bunch of new gaskets i say do it while it's apart,fuel pump,new motor mounts,ac bracket yada yada yada

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Only difference between the 2 is wiring. Pick the one you want to upgrade. The nuts and bolts difference will be negligible.

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d rather do the 93 it’s utter ahead in rebuild and I’ve never liked that tbi motor. The 96 is new ... well to me it is and I m still working on alit of things on it.
So from my understanding of this and doing research and you tune videos..if I do the 93.. I would have to use the harness of the ls.. for the engine? And keep the harness of the 93 for the gauges and other things.
What about the tranny hookup.. it’s a 4l60e.. and from my recollection it’s either a 93 or 94