Is it a 1996 4l60E?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sooooooo, 2wd, 1996, and transmission has no reverse per what my dad says, after it may a loud ping. I take that to mean that something broke , but either way, he got a PWM 4l60e for free, and checking it out, it appears okay generally, the fluid id not terribly dark red.
And so because its a 1 piece case, PWM on the pump cover, IM lead to believe its 1995-1997/8

The tailshaft matches a 95 96 4 bolt 2wd half ton tail shaft. The green connector on the trans has 13 pins, which is whats got me unsure, and the tailshaft has a speed sensor on the passenger side

Does this seem right?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like it, yes. Those have "PWM" on the pump side you can see if you remove the torque converter.

Also, there's a number somewhere near the pan rail that will tell you the year, in case that year tag is missing.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like it, yes. Those have "PWM" on the pump side you can see if you remove the torque converter.

Also, there's a number somewhere near the pan rail that will tell you the year, in case that year tag is missing.
I have searched for a decoding of that, and I keep hitting dead ends, what is the decode? plus 1995 production trans could be 1996 id assume.

And I forgto to mention, there was no tag. there was a rectangular place that looks like the tag was meant to be.

the PWM as I mentioned yes was on the cover :)

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1995 is different internally than 1996 and up. easiest is to determine the pins on the 13pin connector and check resistance on the 3-2 solenoid as it was PWM in 95 and went to on/off arrangement in 96+. i have never swapped a 96 valve body into a 95, so i am unsure if it would work. but i have blocked the 3-2 valve and plugged the correct solenoid in to keep the CEL off. if it were me i would get the VB vac tested and replace/repair common areas that wear out/leak. there are a bunch of free & cheap mods you can do to get some more life out of these used units.