Is a Redhead worth the price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I thought Redhead's big claim was they replaced bushings with bearings? Or do they do oversized bearings?
They probably do but, our truck's boxes have needle bearings so they probably just put new ones. They may convert boxes that had bushings too. like on old time boxes.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I just read this article about the redhead and it sounds pretty good. If they are actually measuring the ball race fully round the worm and sizing ball bearings that require it, that is good. Additionally, it sounds like they are adding material to shafting and cutting it back to size needed for bearing surface on shafting.

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 for RedHead. I had replaced all of the steering parts on the 2 door except the box and shaft. Finally decided to replace the the steering box with a RedHead and steering shaft with a Borgeson. Could not be happier. My transaction with them from purchase to core return was fast and easy. Stinks that @skylark had such a bad experience.

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
+2 for Redhead! I just installed mine on Monday and am very happy with the results. I installed a Cunningham shaft first and it helped...but the Redhead unit really made a difference. I have just a little play left that I'm sure is in the the lower part of the system. But it went from an "adventure" to drive to solid steering.