IRS in a gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw I think what you're doing is way cooler than either one of those builds. Anyone with means can write a check, it takes ingenuity and vision to do cool stuff on a budget.
Thanks man, comments like these are why I keep coming back to this forum. I have received nothing but support on my build, as have many others on their builds. Overall great community.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Anyone have some name suggestions for the truck? I would like it to be something camaro related since many parts I am using are off of a camaro. Many names I like are already taken such as zl1500.
EL CAMARO / camarado / 400 Ute /
Ute 400 / I-roc z5.7 / I-roc z’erado / there’s a few off top of my head lol

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ediff is amazing on track. It would be awesome if there was a standalone controller for it, but I can see how it might not be possible. I'm sure it needs a lot of inputs to get full advantage from it.

Maybe something simple could be done to just manually lock it.
On the 1st gen Titan's we bypassed the factory 4x4 Low only activation provided by the elock control unit with a toggle switch to supply 12 volt power to the elocker.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow that is EXPENSIVE but it looks like a lot of beautiful engineering went into that piece. I do like how the rack and pinion is mounted on that frame. I might mount a rack in a similar fashion on my truck. I’ve been debating between using elevated concepts rack and pinion kit or making my own kit.
If you haven't already (and unless you are already completely on top of it) check out rack mounting in a reputable chassis tuning book - and before you buy a rack.

The positioning of the swivel ends of the rack (that the tie rods mount to) in relation to the control arms' inner pivots is critical to avoid bump-steer.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already (and unless you are already completely on top of it) check out rack mounting in a reputable chassis tuning book - and before you buy a rack.

The positioning of the swivel ends of the rack (that the tie rods mount to) in relation to the control arms' inner pivots is critical to avoid bump-steer.
I have not already read about rack mounting but I definitely will before I try anything. Bump steer and incorrect geometry is the reason I might dish out the extra money for elevated concepts kit.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have not already read about rack mounting but I definitely will before I try anything. Bump steer and incorrect geometry is the reason I might dish out the extra money for elevated concepts kit.

It's one of those things that's as easy to get right as it is wrong - once you know what to look for.
Spend a bit of time on the picture below and it will become apparent. Paying big bucks doesn't necessarily guarantee that it's done right or better than you can achieve yourself.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Why does the name have to be descriptive? Name it what you want. "Fred", "Sweet Home Alabama", "The Reaper", whatever.
I just named those because he just asked in general no specifics so that’s why I went with what I did but nothing wrong with any name. But I thought that might be what he was asking but he’s only one that knows for sure what type of name he’s actually looking for.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just named those because he just asked in general no specifics so that’s why I went with what I did but nothing wrong with any name. But I thought that might be what he was asking but he’s only one that knows for sure what type of name he’s actually looking for.
He wasn't directing that at you.