IRS in a gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The electric rack came in today, she’s on the heavy side but I think it will still be lighter than the factory parts since I will also be removing the power steering pump. I now have a choice of either buying a can signal emulator that locks it in sports mode or learning how can bus systems work so I can control the amount of assist myself. I also decided I wanted to upgrade my front brakes so I bought some much larger 2018 zl1 6 piston brembos with 15.35” rotors.

Attachments

• 41D669BD-DE14-42D5-A855-ECB5C5CD2342.jpeg
    41D669BD-DE14-42D5-A855-ECB5C5CD2342.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 27

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t posted here in a while so I will show y’all what I’m working on today. I designed some toe links for the rear end and am about to start on the trailing arms. This is in hopes of reducing deflection and weight. As well as reducing the chance of wheel hop which Camaros are notorious for at higher power levels(not that I’m making any power rn lol it’s a stock 350tbi). I hope to start on the (maybe awd?) corvette-mustang Frankenstein front suspension and steering in the next few weeks. I only question the awd due to ground clearence. If I can fit an 8.25” in there and maintain about 3-4” of ground clearance I will continue with the awd swap.

Attachments

• 6C5009BA-4B0A-4A85-9FF3-D3F7F19F310F.jpeg
    6C5009BA-4B0A-4A85-9FF3-D3F7F19F310F.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 11

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up an 8.25” diff out of a suburban today. From my measurements I think it will work for the awd swap. Yes I know I need to swap out the 4wd axle shaft/tube to the awd version but I will do that later on. I need to figure out my cv situation. I grabbed one of the cvs from the burb to test fit. Since it is 33 spline and my zl1 hubs are 33 spline maybe they will work together. If the diameter is different then it will probably require custom cvs. I’m praying I don’t need custom ones, they will run me some serious $$$.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually would have preferred the 9.25 due to the option of limited slip and extra strength but I am already tight on space/ground clearance and there is a lack of an awd option. Although you can always just lock out the actuator so it’s always engaged.