Intermittent clutch / shifting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gareth

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and posting for the first time. This question is about my recently purchased 1995 Chevy GMT400 (Silverado package) with a V6 engine and 5-speed manual.

The previous owner replaced the clutch slave and master cylinder just before I bought it. The shifting is fine about half the time, but sometimes is hard to get into gear and I really have to jam it in to shift. When this problem is happening, if I try to shift into revere it grinds and so I usually switch off the engine, put it in reverse and re-start. I feel like the problem only happens when I have been driving for a little bit - when I first start up from cold, shifting is smooth as you like, but later in the day or even the same trip it starts misbehaving as described.

I had my local service station bleed the clutch (twice in the last few weeks), but the problem persists. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. I've tried googling the problem, but all I see is suggestions to bleed the clutch or replace the master cylinder, both of which have been done.

Thanks!

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can not get it in and out of reverse easy, and it is not -34.2C ( like the other night here) could be your plate or diaphragm. Note the synchromesh fluid is like molasses on startup at those temps. Been here done that.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last time I dealt with a truck that had shifting problems after being worked awhile, the clutch disc would warp from heat. The pressure plate couldn't release far enough to not drag on the warped disc. Dragging disc caused problems especially for reverse, but all the other gears as well.

Machined flywheel, scrapped clutch disc and pressure plate. Worked great afterwards.

Gareth

Reaction score
I have to believe it's the clutch actuating (hydraulics) and not the clutch itself, because it comes and goes. When it's giving problems it feels just like a previous truck where the clutch cylinder went out.
If I don't get any improvement I may just replace the clutch cylinder again. Maybe it wasn't installed correctly by the previous owner.
I've also read there are bushings in the gearshift linkage that might be worn. Anyone heard of that?

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a 98 with the v6 and the 5 speed and mine does that too hard to get into second thow and won't let me shift into gear till the gears are at the rite ratio like shifting with out a clutch.. Its kimda like that won't go into gear till the rpms and have to shove it into gear i have the same problem replaced everthing and still issues also did you ever figure out what your issues and how to fix because im lost also

Gareth

Reaction score
I got a 98 with the v6 and the 5 speed and mine does that too hard to get into second thow and won't let me shift into gear till the gears are at the rite ratio like shifting with out a clutch.. Its kimda like that won't go into gear till the rpms and have to shove it into gear i have the same problem replaced everthing and still issues also did you ever figure out what your issues and how to fix because im lost also
Not yet. Does yours happen all the time? With mine the shifting problems come and go, sometimes it works just fine.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alberniken

Reaction score
Saw a video on YT where a mechanic pointed out that inexperienced mechanics often install the shift fork wrong

here:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Easy to mistake the alignment of fork & throw-out. I have the same problem with my 'burb 5 speed conversion. Works OK when cold, becomes "un-clutchable" when warm.

Last edited:

Gareth

Reaction score
Saw a video on YT where a mechanic pointed out that inexperienced mechanics often install the shift fork wrong

here:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Easy to mistake the alignment of fork & throw-out. I have the same problem with my 'burb 5 speed conversion. Works OK when cold, becomes "un-clutchable" when warm.
Thanks. That certainly sounds like the same issue I havve. I don't know how long ago the clutch may have been worked on or by who. It's getting to the point I am just going to bite the bullet and have the clutch replaced. I trust the mechanics where I take my vehicles. I will definitely ask them to look for this problem when they take it apart.