Interior upholstery help 94 burban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowstature

Reaction score
Ok, I’m pretty sure my local upholstery guy wants to kill me. We did some patching and I’m just not happy with it. Looks like we need to reupholster her completely… here’s the story: I have a 94 burban that seats 9. Front row is a 40/60. Middle row is a 60/40 and last row is a bench. I love the velour and I love the grey. We pulled the cloth off to repair some of the backs and unfortunately some of the padding ripped out because it was such a strong adhesive too. The padding that ripped gave the material it’s pleated look and now when we put it back in it’s just flat with stitching in it. He said that he cannot save the cloth and reproduce that pleating without spending a ridiculous amount of cash (about 2400). So we looked online at predone kits and I cannot find a kit for a 94 suburban. I called several places and they all say it has to be special made and nobody has one for my truck. I looked at the pick up truck option since my Burbon wasn’t listed and it looks like the front seat 40/60 matches my 94 40/60. The back seat looks similar to my 3rd row, maybe it could be modified to fit? This leaves me with the middle row 60/40 bench with no options…. Anyone find anything that works or know of a place that sells the correct color material that could reproduce it for the middle? Maybe the front could be modified to work for the middle if I bought an extra? I love the retro look and don’t want to update my seats to a newer design if I don’t have to but I’m not finding what I need and I’m having a hard time swallowing a 2400 price tag for custom cut and made. Any help is appreciated. I attached the pic of the truck kit, has anyone used this kit and modified the back to fit the 3rd row? I need a win here…. And I really want to stay old school if I can.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I would consider $2400.00 to be a good-guy deal.
These truck's seats are a PitA for a few reasons.
The OEM fabrics are non-existent.
GM holds the proprietary rights. Yardage was available through the dealerships up until the roll-stock inventory was depleted. Last I knew, that was 20+ years ago.
There's a couple of guys on an upholstery forum I'm on that do have some stock squirreled away. Only way anyone is getting their mitts on that stuff would be through an estate sale.
The mills can't reproduce it without permission. Plus, GM would want whatever cut of that pie. But they've shown no interest, even with the obvious demand.
When it was available, it was stupid expensive.
$125.00+ per linear yard. 36"x 54".
Your 40/60 is going to need about 8 yards. $1000.00 just to get it to my door. Plus the incidental supplies & the 1/4" & 1/2" foam. Plus labor. 8 hours. (X $60/hr.)
Ouch.
Pre-sewn covers were also available through GM at one time, too. Never priced them out. Probably very scary, considering the roll-stock price.

I have occasionally found materials that look kinda-sorta close. Similar colors but the texture is off. Those are in the $25.00-$40.00/yard range. Most are close to or better than OEM in performance. Price reflects quality.
One thing about the original is that GM did a good job spec'ing it. It's tuff stuff. 100% man-made. Nylon. Resists stains due to the fibers being so slick. U.V. resistant. Long lasting. Comfortable to sit on.
But...unless you're going full-blown factory original numbers-matching restoration, trying to track down the OEM materials isn't worth the time nor the effort. Nor the cost. Whomever has any is going to price it in the same ballpark as the finest Scottish or Italian leathers. In other words, it ain't for sale.

Kits.
Hmmm...
A pet peeve.
Most every kit I've ever installed was either poorly patterned or poorly sewn. 90% were both.
Some 'kits' I've had to tear down, re-pattern & then re-sew all over again because...well...my shop name is going to be on it. I'm only as good as my last job. Sh*t looking like that ain't going out my door.
I've told more than one client that they would of been further ahead if they had just bought the roll-stock to begin with & let me fab it all from scratch. They would have a better quality finished job for LESS $$$ than having to go through the kit & make it right. They way it should of been done in the first place.
The sad thing is that most of the kit manufacturers advertise their product as being 'for the do-it-yourselfer'. The guy with no experience working on his project in his single car garage.
I can't remember how many guys have brought their interior kits to me, 1/2 installed. ...or ripped. ...or so F'd up, they were beyond saving. Money. Well...spent.

Which brings me to the pic of that company's kit.
What the h3ll is that crap?
You'd think that a company advertising their product would be putting their best foot forward.
What a gong show. The fit is crap & not just because of a poor install. The actual sewing together of the parts is just outright bad. Individual panels stretched when stitched to others causing huge wrinkles in one panel but not the one next to. I'd lay odds that 1/2 of the line-up marks, don't.
That back seat...Sooo so b-a-d. I can't look at that anymore. Makes my teeth hurt.
If one of my students produced something like that, they'd be tearing it down & figuring out where it all went so wrong.
I'd be embarrassed to let something like that leave my shop.
Lose sleep until was fixed.

There is a trick to getting the pleats on these seats to look decent. They won't be as original, but it certainly would be very respectable.
Grind off all those raised parts of the foam that GM glued the fabric to, to create the pleats.
Mini-angle grinder & an 80 or 100 grit disc.
Just take them down to the lowest point of the original foam pleat bumps. It'll take a bit to do.
The grinder has no respect for the foam. It's easy for it to get away from you & go too deep. Getting it level can take some finesse. It doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, but the flatter, the better.
Go slow. It's easy to remove the foam. Pretty hard to put it back, especially when what you've taken off has been ground down to crumbs.
Then, when your upholstery guy makes up the new covers, he can do the pleats the traditional way with 1/2" foam. That little bit of padding in the pleats will bring the cushions/backrests back up to the height it was before the foam removal. The 1/2" will also help to hide any minor flaws made when removing the foam.
Then the cover can be glued down in the same manner as the original.

Last edited:

gchavonne

Reaction score
I have recently come across 5 yards of some original blue/white striped GM roll fabric for my 1994 Blazer. I think what I’ve got is the material for the door panels. The material for the seats looks identical but has some stretch to it. Could the door panel material be used to reupholster the seats successfully? @sewlow You appear to be the resident upholstery resource, thank you for your service! Very helpful!

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited: