interior resto thread (89 sierra SL ECLB)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
(wanted to show you guys what ive been doing with your advice)
as brought home:
You must be registered for see images attach

the plan for this truck is pretty simple. clean up the interior, restore what needs restored while I'm in there. redye, reupholster, etc. also going to add some options, like a good stereo, cruise, intermittent wipers, courtesy lights, cigarette lighter, gauges, and insulation/sound deadening. rest of the truck will get painted er and lowered. 3/4 is my goal. nothing too serious, just a nice, comfortable, family friendly, kid proof daily driver. very simple and tasteful.

over the last few weekends, I've been raiding pull-a-part for some stuff. I've got all my options i want to add, most of the broken/worn interior pieces, and my electric fan stuff. (fan clutch is locked up). this is my start.

so far, I've got my new pioneer head unit installed, my suburban buckets/console cleaned up, and found the correct colors of dyes from SEM products (NAPA red for the light, burgindy for the dark). last friday i got the door panels pulled off for a good cleaning before dye, as well as to cut them for my 6.5 front component speakers. while they're apart, I'm installing my sound deadening. ill be using McMaster Carr masteric for the underlayment against the steel, with foil backed jute on the backside of the interior components for more sound/temperature reduction.

anyway, i figured id post a couple of pics from today.

first, i decided id give a picture of the in progress of gluing my panels back together, and restoring them. again, i used 5 minute epoxy and spring clamps, as the whiskers were torn around where the staples and rivets hold them onto the plastic panel. pretty crappy design, really.

better picture of the scuffing and fading of the plastics.

recolored

installed, along with my speaker and grille (only ones i could find)

while i was in there, i replaced all the plastic clips that were broken, cleaned my kick panel, redyed my door sill plate, and added some foam weatherstripping to the outside edge of the panel to reduce rattles. ill take a picture of it when i do the other side this week.

I'm really pleased with the way this door came out, except for the speaker grille. my speakers have a very thick foam gasket around the mounting flange that the grille is resting on. its spacing the grille out too far, making it look bad. so im going to pull the grille, paint the screws black, trim the foam, and reinstall it. hopefully that will clean that up considerably.

lastly for this week, i pulled my old SS454 mirrors off (put them on a few years ago to replace the busted dumbo looking ones) as i just couldn't see very well with them. (for sale, 40$ plush shipping)

replaced them with a set of ebay 95 suburban manual mirrors, which are a heck of a lot bigger and more useful.

also working with the suburban seats. when i first installed the drivers side, i hated it. too firm, felt like it was angled forward (legs lower than butt). so i tweaked the mounting angles for the seat brackets and reduced the spring tension for the seat bottoms. after the last 100 miles, much better. ill see what i think at the end of this week.

also, just top let you know, on the door panels, arm rests, speaker grilles, and drivers side sill plate i used a whole can of SEM dye. so plan accordingly for your project.

up next is the passengers side door. and finding/paying ANOTHER tint guy since the first one screwed me.

michael

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
had some time this week to work on it after work.

got the passengers side door trimmed and sound deadened, finished the weatherstripping on the door, replaced the clips, routed my speaker wire, and got it all installed. also painted my screws black, and removed the rediculously thick foam from the speakers. looks a lot better now.

also got it tinted earlier this week

i spent moset of the day yesterday redoing the dash and stereo wiring. cleaning grounds and connections, tidying things up, etc.
installed some footwell lights from a 94 suburban, and a passengers side door jamb switch as well. that was a MFPITA to install.

while i was in there, i finally found the factory radio lead. it was tucked inside a plastic channel that wiring runs through in the middle of the dash. so using that, and some 12 pin nylon connectors from radio shack, i redid my stereo wiring. the thing is noce and clean now.
also trimmed the piece of rattling plastic inside my center vent. would be noisy as all get out when you had the blower motor on high. just trimmed it up with a razor blade.

i wound up trumming a flange on my heater box to get my CD player to fully seat. only had to trim about 1/4 inch for it to go home. also, while i was doing the dash work yesterday, i decided to dye my radio plate, glovebox door, passengers side vent, pass kick panel and door sill plate. the kick and sill are still in the shop, as i had to push everything to the side when our subaru crapped out on my wife and daughter on their way to church this morning. i love electrical gremilins in japanese cars....

looks like im driving the truck all week. at least i can roll the windows down again tomnorrow, as the tint will have been on the full 5 days that the shop reccomended.

suburban footwell light (theres one on both sides, but they look the same so why take two pictures?)

dyed dash and properly installed stereo

and i realized i never shot a picture of my audi tweeters installed.

also got my dip switch soldered in my new moonies cluster, and the odometer reset. was going to install it today, but the rain was a little too much and the aforementioned subaru issues.

hopefully ill get it stuck in this week after figuring out whats wrongwith the scoobie.

Michael

BIG MAC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks really good! PM Txwildman about the sport mirrors I know he's looking for a set!