Interior molding for headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97moneypit

Reaction score
Just bought a 97 gmc k1500 z71 extended. Already doing some repairs and upgrades.

First thing had to go was the headliner. While removing the trim to get the head liner out just about every peace cracked or broke.

I'm looking for the plastic for the pillars left and right of the windshield, trim above the doors, trim above and below the rear window.

Besides hitting the junk yards and ebay is there any sites that sell these?

I have tried to search but I am coming up with nothing. I have checked LMC, classic industries, GM direct and a few others.

Perhaps im not putting in the correct names? Any help would be appreciated

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Junkyard.
Look for good pieces and don't worry about the colors. Condition counts first.

My truck never came with all the early style/deluxe plastics.
Took 3 trucks, 3 different colored interiors to get all 6 pieces.
Dyed 'em & they're all one color.
Shhh. Nobody knows but you & me.

...uhmmm. ?? wait a sec...
Doh!

97moneypit

Reaction score
Junkyard.
Look for good pieces and don't worry about the colors. Condition counts first.

My truck never came with all the early style/deluxe plastics.
Took 3 trucks, 3 different colored interiors to get all 6 pieces.
Dyed 'em & they're all one color.
Shhh. Nobody knows but you & me.

...uhmmm. ?? wait a sec...
Doh!

What years and models should fit my truck?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
What years and models should fit my truck?
Being an extended cab, IIRC, those interior pieces are the same over the GMT400 run.
The early ('88/'89?) long 'A' pillars ones that goes right over the doors don't have the Oh Sh*t handle on the passenger side.
If your's doesn't & you want it, you'll need the spot-welded-on bracket under the plastic from the donor. PitA to remove! Easier with no windshield.
The long 'A' pillars & the rear lower & upper plastics are the same for all body styles.
Ex-cab 'B' pillars (with the side windows) are specific to that body style.

To get that top rear one out, the 'B' pillar plastics have to be pulled down & out at the bottom so as to slide the tabs at upper ends out from under that top piece. Once those are out of the way, you'll see the screws holding the top one up.
Some of the clips are going to get bent.
GM still sells these, or Amazon. 10 fer 10 bucks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Try not to break the plastic tabs on those trim parts that the clips glom onto. Repairing doesn't work very well. Find another.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The B pillars are different beginning 1996 because the shoulder belt top mount has the slide function, so there's a big slot cut there.

A pillars changed 1995 with the dash change, they stop at the dash and use the separate short filler pieces alongside the dash instead of going all the way down to the kick panel like 1994 and older. (They also changed in 1995 to provide for the passenger A pillar grab handle.)

Richard

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When looking for high trim parts a good clue is to look for a junk truck with unfaded paint. Reason: The trim pieces from garaged trucks hold up much better than those that have been baking in the sun. I was lucky to score a full trim set from a garaged truck. The parts were not brittle at all. Now if I could just get around to installing it !

97moneypit

Reaction score
Being an extended cab, IIRC, those interior pieces are the same over the GMT400 run.
The early ('88/'89?) long 'A' pillars ones that goes right over the doors don't have the Oh Sh*t handle on the passenger side.
If your's doesn't & you want it, you'll need the spot-welded-on bracket under the plastic from the donor. PitA to remove! Easier with no windshield.
The long 'A' pillars & the rear lower & upper plastics are the same for all body styles.
Ex-cab 'B' pillars (with the side windows) are specific to that body style.

To get that top rear one out, the 'B' pillar plastics have to be pulled down & out at the bottom so as to slide the tabs at upper ends out from under that top piece. Once those are out of the way, you'll see the screws holding the top one up.
Some of the clips are going to get bent.
GM still sells these, or Amazon. 10 fer 10 bucks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Try not to break the plastic tabs on those trim parts that the clips glom onto. Repairing doesn't work very well. Find another.

Will keep this in mind

97moneypit

Reaction score
When looking for high trim parts a good clue is to look for a junk truck with unfaded paint. Reason: The trim pieces from garaged trucks hold up much better than those that have been baking in the sun. I was lucky to score a full trim set from a garaged truck. The parts were not brittle at all. Now if I could just get around to installing it !

Just went to pick a part in sun valley as I work down the street. Found 3 of the 4 parts I needed with out tools. I found a couple of the last trim I needed but had no tools and they close soon. I will be back.

I live in San Fernando so there's junk yards everywhere out here and seems like chevy/gmc 1500 90s are very popular

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The B pillars are different beginning 1996 because the shoulder belt top mount has the slide function, so there's a big slot cut there.

A pillars changed 1995 with the dash change, they stop at the dash and use the separate short filler pieces alongside the dash instead of going all the way down to the kick panel like 1994 and older. (They also changed in 1995 to provide for the passenger A pillar grab handle.)

Richard
Those 'B' pillars for a later RCSB's have the slotted adjustment holes? Damn. I never found any of those when I was looking for mine.
They all had the stationary position openings.
Or is it just the Ex's & crewcabs that came with the slots in the trim?
My truck's upper belts are adjustable, but when I installed the plastic, they had to be at the top of the slot on the body in order to fit through that single hole in the trim.

I'd forgotten about the dif in the 'A' pillar trim.