Interior lights not working

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by scott_williams2, Sep 18, 2019.

Car Parts
  1. scott_williams2

scott_williams2 OBS Enthusiast

I know this is prob the wrong forum but I just bought a 97 extcab z. The dome lights lights in the door and the ones under the dash aren’t working. Hvac and dash work fine. Is there a certain fuse they all run off of that could be blown???

2. Eveready

Eveready I'm Awesome

Have you checked to see if you can turn them on with the dashboard light dimmer? All the way to bright usually clicks and the interior light comes on. If it works then the most likely culprit is the door switch which is mounted on the side of the dashboard contacting the door when closed. If you are able to turn the interior light on manually try pulling on the door switch button which may be stuck. I assume you have done the most basic item which is check the interior light bulb.

If the door switch is bad, they are easily replaced.

3. scott_williams2

No they don’t work at all not even manually

4. Eveready

Eveready I'm Awesome

Mine is a 93 and on it the fuse for the dome and courtesy lights is fuse 180 which is dead center of the fuse block. YMMV on the later trucks. I have no idea if they changed it or not. Note that sometimes the fuse just gets crud on it in the socket so if you pull it and it doesn't look blown you might want to put a little contact cleaner on the socket and wiggle it around. On mine this fuse also handles the radio and cargo light.

5. scott_williams2

Just fixed it. It was fuse 3

Eveready likes this.