Interior gets really hot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97TwoDrTahoe

Reaction score
My 97 Tahoe's interior heats up to the point where you begin to sweat! Highway driving is when the interior heats up the most... Almost as if the heater was on max. What could cause this? I've recently installed a new radiator and made sure to purge any trapped air out. No overheating and engine temp gauge is where it should be.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone else said they were feeling hot air coming in from the driver firewall. The boot at the steering column had shifted, leaving a gap to the engine bay. It just pushes back into place from the engine side.

It’s worth a shot. Here is how it is correctly seated.

Otherwise, do the ventilation controls work correctly?

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I notice that LMC truck sells a heat insulator that goes under the carpet. Could be that exhaust is too close to the floor or some flavor of shield is missing. Metal is one fine heat conductor so I would take a close look around, maybe with an IR heat detector to look for hot spots.

Last edited:

97TwoDrTahoe

Reaction score
Alright, I got under the truck and seems like I'm missing both heat shields that go over the exhaust pipes. Checked to see if the steering column boot was seated correctly and discovered an open hole right under it!.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suspect a trip to the junkyard is in your future and rapid improvements will be made. Congrats on chasing down the problem and thanks for reporting.