Interior door handle issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys! So on my 92, when I pull the door handle to open, the handle doesn’t snap back like the passenger side does, it just stays put until I push it back which is annoying because the door won’t shut unless the handle is fully in the closed position. Do I have to replace the whole thing or is there a spring somewhere that’s busted?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
There is a spring on the lever pivot pin. I have never been able to find one but, if you can find something you should be able to change it. It has always been faster to change the handle assembly for me.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either way you will need to remove the handle to change the spring if you can find one suitable. Just drill the head off the rivet and punch it out.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a pop rivet gun. Bet you can get one with rivets for less than $20.

kevvan

Reaction score
Hey guys! So on my 92, when I pull the door handle to open, the handle doesn’t snap back like the passenger side does, it just stays put until I push it back which is annoying because the door won’t shut unless the handle is fully in the closed position. Do I have to replace the whole thing or is there a spring somewhere that’s busted?

I have the same problem on my 1990 driver's side door. There is a video on YouTube that outlines the process of drilling out rivets and replacing. In it he does recommend you replace the rivets with bolts as recommended here.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hope you find it useful.