Intake options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok looking at intake options other than a marine one for individual injectors. Flattop lt1 rotating assembly, lt1 stock cam advanced few degree for more bottom end, stock heads with radius valve job and port match to the paper gasket. Stock intake performance is enough but want the injectors individual. I can make a plate to put stock throttle body on any carb type intake also

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have a rpm air gap that was awesome with a 750 hp carb but not sure what dual plane would do with the stock throttle body

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT YEAR?

WHAT MODEL?

WHAT ENGINE?

My '88 TBI 5.7L K1500 is using a "ZZ4" manifold on aftermarket aluminum heads having the "old" 6-bolt intake pattern on each side.

The "ZZ" manifold is almost exactly the same height as the TBI manifold, for easy cable routing and TBI-to-hood clearance.

Getting the EGR to work was challenging. There's no boss on the manifold to mount the strut that supports the A/C compressor. Everything else was pretty do-able.

But that doesn't get you individual injectors.

None of this helps if you've got a 7.4L.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming he is talking about a Vortec 350 since he is saying it has a LT1 rotating assembly and camshaft. If it has a B-car cam it is almost the same cam as the Vortec.

The GM MFI upgrade gets a person individual injectors on the stock intake, then again the stock poppets are individual injectors too.

My goal for my current L31 based 383 build is 500 hp at the crank with a ported stock intake manifold and a 48 lb/hr upgrade spider.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's always the Ramjet intake. Thing would run about identical to an LT1 like that I bet.
I have an Indmar marine intake at my shop that would probably run about like a LT1. Has a much larger plenum than a LT1 but has larger, short runners. Has the TPI/LT1 throttle body flange with 58mm openings. Came on a Marine 350 with Fastburn heads. Would have used it but it was going to run into all the accessories.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Scoggin-Dickey lists a Vortec compatible lower intake that uses the complete Tuned Port Injection upper. Holley also lists a conventional style intake with individual external injectors. An adapter plate would be needed if the Vortec throttle body is to be used.

Racer X

Reaction score
I been looking at doing the Marine intake swap with the X24 and 411 swap and the price of the intake is pretty hefty. Not to mention it's about a 100 lbs.Well if I'm not mistaken I may have found an alternative. https://marineenginedepot.com/intake-manifold-50l-to-57l-high-rise-performance Now at first glance you think this is a standard aluminum single plane intake. But closer inspection reveals this intake is cast and drilled for injectors. This place puts plugs in them and advertises it for a carb upgrade for boats. I know how to remove those plugs and I can make an adaptor to mount my stock throttle body on it. The ad says vortec 5.7 Im assuming this means Vortec heads correct? Can anyone think of any reason why this wouldn't bolt up to my 2000 L31 5.7 Vortec? I hope it will work because I just bought one .. If not well maybe somebody will buy it. Hopefully it comes as pictured with the injection ports. At 176.00 I couldn't find a whole lotta reasons not to try it. worst case I send it back.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Almost certainly a cheap Communist Chinese intake manifold.

2. I bet they ruined the injector bosses by tapping them for thread-in plugs.

3. Yes, that has a Vortec bolt pattern.

4. Are your injector rails going to fit that manifold? Wire harnesses for the injectors going to be long enough?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let us know how it works. Be easier to use that intake with a whipple and intercooler, plus looks 100x better than the stock Vortec intake.