Intake manifold question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm not a small block or TBI guy, but I think your choices are limited to 1 or 2 TBI manifolds (GM Performance and Edelbrock?) or a carb intake with an adapter.

Spelling out your goals will help you get answers for other that know better than I to help you. Also the particular truck configuration that you've got.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The best one is the Edelbrock one used with their mpfi conversion but that one is very rare. Best bet is get a used regular Edelbrock one and have it bored out to match the stock one.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the center 2 bolts on TBI heads and intake manifold are drilled different, they're ~72* instead of 90*. That makes it more difficult to upgrade. Edelbrock 3704 is the easiest to use and mate to your other components. The EGR port is in the same place as OE too. The Red arrows point to the 72* angle bolts.
You must be registered for see images attach

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve only ever read that the TBI intake from edelbrock doesn’t gain anything

I’d be looking at a dual plane setup for a carb with an adapter plate

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d be looking at a dual plane setup for a carb with an adapter plate
I'm running a "ZZ4" intake, adapter for TBI, purchased adapter for EGR, and (home-made) adapter for EGR. Downside is that the two center bolt holes to the heads on each side would be at the wrong angle for TBI heads; and there's no bolt hole boss for the A/C strut, or for the bracket that holds the MAP sensor and ESC module. The EGR adapter fabrication was the worst part.

Since I scrapped the crappy swirl-port heads for older aftermarket aluminum heads, the center bolt-holes work just like they were designed to.

The ZZ manifold + adapter plate positions the throttle body less than 1/4 inch higher, and about 1/4 inch farther forward compared to the OEM manifold. I had to re-adjust the trans TV cable.

This is the manifold, but I got mine "used" from eBay.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-10185063

I think this is the TBI adapter I used--but Summit's record of my order doesn't go back that far.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2211

And the kind of adapter I bought for EGR. This moves the EGR rearward to clear the IAC on the throttle body. Still need another adapter to get the TBI EGR valve to fit.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1476

Last edited:

DavidAlan

Reaction score
So lets open Pandora box, shall we? Changing intake is only part of the equation, what are you looking for?
Also do you plan for long haul or short trips?, how many miles on the engine?, are planning to put a better cam in it? or maybe how about a new distributor? there are many way to go about make your truck haul butt ,why not look at headers? or a complete non restricted exhaust? Why not spend those bucks that are burning a hole in your pocket and buy a new high performance engine?
Intakes are only part of the spending habits of people that play with your toys, I drive a truck with over 268 thousand miles on it, and it isn't stock, and I can be heard on the other end of town. So what's your pleasure?

ShawnB

Reaction score
possibly a dumb statement here, but i would not recommend a dual plane intake for any TBI style injection...cylinder distribution is horrible.

i had an edelbrock TBI intake (dont even recall if it was single ir dual plane)...but during the motor swap, to vortec heads i ordered the edelbrock perf. RPM airgap, and currently runninga fitech easy street 600...the idle characteristics and AFR are all very finicky. i have had several conversations regarding this, and a SINGLE PLANE has been recommended by all with out question as the first thing to swap.

i just recently trimmed out the divider and added a 1" spacer...already it is much smoother idle, and the AFR's are much closer to commands

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
possibly a dumb statement here, but i would not recommend a dual plane intake for any TBI style injection...cylinder distribution is horrible.

i had an edelbrock TBI intake (dont even recall if it was single ir dual plane)...but during the motor swap, to vortec heads i ordered the edelbrock perf. RPM airgap, and currently runninga fitech easy street 600...the idle characteristics and AFR are all very finicky. i have had several conversations regarding this, and a SINGLE PLANE has been recommended by all with out question as the first thing to swap.

i just recently trimmed out the divider and added a 1" spacer...already it is much smoother idle, and the AFR's are much closer to commands

A single plane is the absolute worst possible intake for a TBI (or any other) truck