Intake Manifold HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jdge439

Reaction score
So, Im hundreds of Miles from home, Ive got my tools, no torque Wrench!
1995 350 tbi Yukon
My intake gasket blew, and I have got to get it replaced.
An pdfs of anything on the steps so I get it right/tools I need, Id love

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A Chiltons or Haynes book should have enough detail to plod through it.

Check YouTube as well.

Alldatadiy.com is a subscription-based online service that has repair procedures pretty close to the factory manual. It’s maybe $30/yr, so that’d be my first choice in your situation.

An inch/pound torque wrench is probably a necessity here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMO the most difficult part of this job is getting the fuel lines back on the TBI, otherwise is actually a fairly simple job just time consuming. I did mine in the driveway a month or so back and just started at the top and took things off. TBI comes off, coil, distributor comes out (after marking the rotor position) cable bracket, on mine support rods for the alternator, and then the manifold bolts. Torque wrench will be needed for proper reassembly my 90 was 25ftlbs if I remember correctly. Getting all the old gasket off the heads and manifold can be a challenge then just reassemble in reverse order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86k10

Reaction score
To be honest if I was in a pinch I would just replace them and torque them to German specs aka goodntite.

I assume the coolant is leaking?

I would be more concerned with getting the timing right.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ya know it's funny, I was looking over it and I included a "tools used" list - I think I left torque wrench off of it! Although I included the page out of the factory manual showing the torque pattern and values. SMH..

A lot of the stuff I've written up, as well as great contributions from other members, are stickied in a FAQ on Chevytalk.com in the 88-98 truck section. I've dupe-posted a lot of my stuff over here too but that FAQ has a decent collection linked all in one place.

Richard

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really just unhook wires and hoses, mark them if you won't remember where they go, mark the distributor body and rotor position, take out the bolts, lift off the intake, clean the mating surfaces of heads/intake, pop on new gaskets with some contact cement, put the cork strips or a bead of rtv on the china walls, set the intake down, and torque it as best as you can to 35lb-ft in propper tightening order. Fill your coolant back up, hook everything back up, and hit the road. I did an intake job with no torque wrench and improper tightening order and it lasted a few months, so if you are stranded on the side of the road, just guess and it will get you home. Don't be surprised if you have to re-do it later though. . .

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As much as I despise cheap tools and a torque wrench is probably the LAST thing I would buy from Harbor Freight, I would say in this case it would be a good investment.

Richard

Jdge439

Reaction score
So the GM Quick Disconnect on the backside broke off in the sucker, I started working on it last night. I got her all out and this morning I cleaned and then started to tap with a chisel and hammer to try and back the thing out. no go.

Any thoughts