Intake Manifold Gaskets -What else to replace while in there

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HillcrestFarm

Reaction score
It appears I need to replace my Intake Manifold gaskets on my 1994 Blazer with the 5.7 TBI. 85K miles. What else should I be replacing while I have it torn down that far?

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you have the manifold off, look at the oil pressure switch in the back of the engine (circled in red) and inspect for leaks. It'll be a lot easier to get at. Might as well pull the valve covers and check your valve lash too. Be sure to use thread sealant on your intake manifold bolts/studs so oil doesn't seep back out into the valley next to the Throttle Body when you put it back together.

HillcrestFarm

Reaction score
While you have the manifold off, look at the oil pressure switch in the back of the engine (circled in red) and inspect for leaks. It'll be a lot easier to get at. Might as well pull the valve covers and check your valve lash too. Be sure to use thread sealant on your intake manifold bolts/studs so oil doesn't seep back out into the valley next to the Throttle Body when you put it back together.

Should I just replace the sensor, or only if it is leaking? Should I buy new bolts or just clean the ones I have?

Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I just replace the sensor, or only if it is leaking?
If it ain't broke don't f**k with it. You'll probably get an inferior aftermarket replacement, ha ha.

Should I buy new bolts or just clean the ones I have?
That's up to you, they're not TTY so, they can be cleaned up and reused. When I did my top end, I got 12 point bolts at O'Reilly's IIRC but, I wanted something that looked good with the aluminum intake.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep to all the above.
Pull the adapter for the oil pressure switch and clean it up.
GM used thread sealant to lock them in place and it dries out and leaks.
Dont use tefflon tape.
The adapter is 1/8 npt pipe thread and it is not brass. Its chem coated steel.
Chase the threads with a die a little at a time and keep trying it out untill it is about 90 degrees shy of where you want it to "clock" Then put the sealant on and let it cure
You want to thread it short of its final position because the wet sealant will lube the threads and make it turn much further than you want it to stop at.
This is important because it will make it much easier to replace the switch in the future and cures a pretty notorious oil leak.
If you have a stock O.P. switch and it works, keep it. the aftermarket ones are complete garbage junk crap.
The other thing to do is replace the ground strap that goes from the back of the passenger side head to the firewall.
Easy with the dist out and the manifold off.
A real ******* to do when all of that is in place.
You dont need the stock GM 50 dollar ground strap.
A 4 ga battery cable for 10 bucks works just fine.
That ground and all of the manifold grounds can effect everything from the gauges to plug fouling.
And, if you dont already know this..
Dont use the "china wall" gaskets no matter who made them.
Follow the instructions on the tube and use ultra grey or ultra black silicon