Intake leak? Head gasket failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my 97 silverado 5.0 vortec is having issues

Misfire on cylinder 2
Plug shows some contamination
Compression is 150lbs on this cylinder 150- 155 on the others.
Truck was low on coolant so added coolant
Gurgling through Heater core
Truck is back low on coolant (Park on grass no leaks detected)

The oil level seems to be high like...pretty good amount over the top dot on the district but does not look milky
Good oil pressure
Doesn't run hot

I am not familiar with these vortecs

Could the intake be leaking???

Or is this more than likely a headgasket issue.

Depending on what I decide to do I would like to build this Truck since my grandad left it to me. Lower it...repaint...and build a mold motor build.

If it's just an intake gasket issue I could replace all that pretty easy. .head gasket I might as well run it until I get a motor ready.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be an intake gasket but could just as easily be a water pump or something else. Pressure test the cooling system and see if you spot the leak.

Is the seam between the intake and block wet at the front or back?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The radiator tanks tend to leak. Mine used coolant at a low rate for many years. Suspected the radiator tank b/c my nose told me so, but could never spot the leak. Eventually it got bad enough that I spotted the residue on the driver's side tank. Replaced the radiator and now it uses zero coolant.

I did also have the intake gasket leak, but it came on fast and made itself noticed on the dipstick. It was fixed pronto.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did a pressure test no visible leaks.

Guess it's time to rip the intake off

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When my (99 Vortec) inlet gaskets were shot it lost coolant (showed leakage at the front between manifold and block) used oil, never overheated but when shut off warm gurgled behind the dash on passenger side (overflow bottle I assumed but possibly heater core).

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hope that's all it is, the truck right now just goes on a 10 minute trip to the gas station and back right now but I need to get it road worthy

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The radiator tanks tend to leak. Mine used coolant at a low rate for many years. Suspected the radiator tank b/c my nose told me so, but could never spot the leak. Eventually it got bad enough that I spotted the residue on the driver's side tank. Replaced the radiator and now it uses zero coolant.

I did also have the intake gasket leak, but it came on fast and made itself noticed on the dipstick. It was fixed pronto.
X2 on this-mine has been losing coolant for since I bought it and only recently I addressed the issue-it leaks around the colling lines ports-never visible leak-just rcoolant residue. I suspected all gaskets-had a steam from the tail pipe-but then tested for fumes in coolant and that calmed me down. Now I'm addressing the issue-radiator,cooler lines-the lot.