Intake Gasket Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grdnfan

Reaction score
Ok, my intake let go at both sides on the front. Dumped all the water into oil. How would you suggest cleaning that out. Drained the oil and filter and refilled with new oil and filter once. Better, but since I have it open...

robpp

Reaction score
Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Felpro MS93317 is what you are looking for.. there is no permadry style gasket for the intake that I've seen. But the above is the regular part number

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

robpp

Reaction score
Yeah I figured that out at Rockauto and some further searching.

I found a youtube of a 91 for some idea what I am up against.

the main issue is the weather. I can fit the truck in my garage just barely but then I wouldnt be able to open a toolbox drawer UGH/

SO its in the driveway at the edge of the garage. I can heat the garage some with a propane jet engine heater but with the door open getting in and out it really doesnt do much

my driveway is about a 25% grade so rolling In and Out is not an option unless I can get 5-6 friends over to help LOL

Yeah I know Im preaching to the choir LOL

Hey Im old and i live in Denver/

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I need to do the intake manifold gasket on my 89 350 TBI

Everywhere including Rockauto and FelPro themselves say that MS98000T does not fit my application?

Cant seem to find anything similar for the 89?

Am I missing something

From Summit:
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/chartsguides/f/fel-pro permadryplus intake manifold gaskets.pdf

Ok I get it now. DUH

So whats the best gaskets for the TBI motor?
The reason there's a "special" intake gasket set for the Vortec is because the factory Vortec gaskets were trash...plastic, essentially. The TBI "regular" gaskets are just fine and aren't notorious for practically 100% of them failing shy of 100K miles like the Vortec ones do. Of course they all eventually fail. I think I did the ones on my '94 at around 150K miles as I noticed a little trickle of coolant down the front of the driver side head.

Richard

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I figured that out at Rockauto and some further searching.

I found a youtube of a 91 for some idea what I am up against.

the main issue is the weather. I can fit the truck in my garage just barely but then I wouldnt be able to open a toolbox drawer UGH/

SO its in the driveway at the edge of the garage. I can heat the garage some with a propane jet engine heater but with the door open getting in and out it really doesnt do much

my driveway is about a 25% grade so rolling In and Out is not an option unless I can get 5-6 friends over to help LOL

Yeah I know Im preaching to the choir LOL

Hey Im old and i live in Denver/
As far as the heat is concerned... bring the truck as far in as you can and still be able to work. Then close garage door as far as it can and use a couple old blankets and or a couple tarps to seal it back up.. should keep the heat in atleast enough to take the edge off to be comfortable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am in the middle of this process on a TBI. While I have it off, I couldn't resist cleaning my intake manifold. I used gunk, dish soap and lemon juice, boiling water, and a wire wheel to clean it up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here comes the really asinine part: I used a hot shower to clean the dust and liquid left from the previous steps. Then a parking spot next to a dehumidifier to dry it off.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice write up and posts . My 1999 burb’s intake gasket just went after 153k (waited till the day after my 10 hour drive dropping my son in Pittsburg was over ).

I’ve been watching and waiting for this, and plan a few other swaps now that im doing the work and draining the block:

New hoses, seals, gaskets for cooling system
Replace that quick connect
New radiator and heater core
New water pump, stat
Sand and reprime the radiator bracket

And for extra good measure swapping the leaky fuel spider for a new mpfi set up. (fuel trim has been at -40)

Can you guys think of anything else while i have my hood off?

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice write up and posts . My 1999 burb’s intake gasket just went after 153k (waited till the day after my 10 hour drive dropping my son in Pittsburg was over ).

I’ve been watching and waiting for this, and plan a few other swaps now that im doing the work and draining the block:

New hoses, seals, gaskets for cooling system
Replace that quick connect
New water pump, stat
Sand and reprime the radiator bracket

And for extra good measure swapping the leaky fuel spider for a new mpfi set up. (fuel trim has been at -40)

Can you guys think of anything else while i have my hood off?

Might be a good time for a quick tune up, if it's something you haven't done yet. You're going to have to pull the distributor anyway. Doing at least the EGR gasket wouldn't be a bad idea either, it's kind of tough to get to with everything else on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Most aftermarket radiators come with an unused port under the cap- or, at least, it’s unused on the 350 vortec. This allows them to sell it for several different models. I think that the TBI versions used the port.

The manufacturer will provide a rubber cap and clamp which will likely deteriorate over a few months:

So, I’d suggest using a radiator that does not have this spare port (Delco makes one) or finding a permanent solution to this leak point. Someone suggested a silicone cap, maybe that’s an option.

Just a heads up, good luck with the repair. The MPFI swap is definitely worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk