Intake Gasket Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Block drains are the PREFERRED method of dropping coolant level before working on the engine.

All my vehicles get brass draincocks instead of the OEM iron/steel plugs, except when the block drain hole is being used as a port to attach the knock sensor.

Yes, there's a solid 2 gallons the plugs drain that the radiator does not.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, there's a solid 2 gallons the plugs drain that the radiator does not.
Correct, but he's simply pulling the intake. Lowering the level below the top of the engine is more than sufficient for this purpose. I siphoned the radiator outdoors, then drove the truck inside my shop, and pulled the intake. Other than the small amount that is residual in the intake regardless of method, I didn't spill any coolant inside the shop.

The job sucks enough as it is, no need making it any more complicated than necessary. :)

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Correct, but a drain and refill of the radiator is about as far as most ever go. Draining the block goes a lot farther toward flushing the system which I'm sure most trucks on this site could benefit from. Even I'm guilty, I've only ever drained and filled the dually but I have gone farther with the 1500.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cool...while we're splitting technical hairs, did anybody bother to read his post? :D

Also, will I get away with just draining coolant at the two drain plugs on the block (ie, will it lower the coolant level enough for working on the top end of the engine)?
I've just renewed the coolant and can catch and re-use from the block drains but not so easily from the rad and getting new coolant while still in lockdown isn't so easy.

Richard

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it worth removing (with Pela from above) the engine oil before embarking on this - or is the risk of coolant finding its way to the oil pan negligible?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it worth removing (with Pela from above) the engine oil before embarking on this - or is the risk of coolant finding its way to the oil pan negligible?

Consider this: if you drain the oil first, and coolant does get into the crankcase, you'd have to pull the drain plug again.

Best to wait till done. Then drain the oil. Since coolant will have made it's way to the bottom (as oil floats on water...) You'll see it come out first, and then have only fresh oil on startup.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Some coolant will get into the oil regardless of how careful you are; it remains trapped in the intake and it's practically impossible to keep it from sloshing out as you lift it off the heads. Just plan on an oil change after the job. I would personally think it's better to leave the oil in place so that draining it afterwards can help carry any spilled coolant out with it, instead of hoping a small amount of coolant would drain on its own from a nearly-empty oil pan that the oil had been drained prior.

When I did mine, I lowered the coolant level first using a siphon hose down the radiator neck, to reduce spillage during disassembly. Worked like a champ; barely spilled a drop on the shop floor. Had small puddles inside the lifter valley to mop up with paper towels after lifting the intake. Still changed oil afterwards to be 100% safe.

Richard