Instrument Panel stepper motors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some people have all the cool toys!

Nope! I need a garage that I can work in and a lift then I will have most of the cool toys! That being said, I scrounged yard sales, second hand stores, pawn shops, craigslist and auctions for the majority of my tools beyond a standard Craftsman set. I bought cool broken tools for pennies and warrantied them.

Chevyman29

Reaction score
Well, swapped out gauge clusters and the odometer, at least these old style ones are easy to work on :p No more vibrating needle, but the gauge still does not read correctly, jumps to different spots between 3/4 tank and full, reads proper when i fill her up down to 3/4 tank, the its anyones guess. So next move would be the sending unit in the gas tank, dammit. $$$

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I had that issue with my 98. It ended up being the sending unit on the fuel pump. Put in a new pump and sending unit and solved my issue.

Chevyman29

Reaction score
If its the gas tank ground wouldn't that cause the fuel pump to stop working as well? If the weather holds till the weekend i'll have a look at it. Fearing doing sender unit, may was well do the fuel pump too while its all opened up. On the off chance the gas gauge on this junkyard cluster is broken as well I'm gonna try swapping it with a step motor i know works properly from the oil pressure gauge, if it works i'll be happier than a pig in :)

Just curious how many kms/miles did you have on the truck when the sending unit went in your 98?

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
id say around 98k miles. 6 months after it started acting up, the fuel pump died.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you take the resistor off of the old gauge and transfer it to the new one? It goes across 2 of the pins and is really easy to not recognize as a resistor.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the resistor that has to be transferred to the new gauge. Otherwise you get false readings.

You must be registered for see images attach