Installing lugnuts 4x4 rear disc brake conversion kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ttoyota

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the rear disk brake conversion kit from lug nut 4x4 on their 14 bolt 25 or 3500? Mine will be arriving shortly. I ordered the e brake premium kit (at a premium price). Just wondering how much luck you had getting everything dialed in and working correctly.. Did you notice a significant improvement in braking? Did you have to change any additional parts or play with proportioning valve to get them to work correctly. I'm really hoping the install isn't too bad and I get my money's worth. Thank you.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the kit without e brake on my k2500, which has the semi float axle.

Cons:
-I had to pull the axles out and grind a small amount of casting flash off of the inside of both axles to allow the rotors to sit flat.
-The brackets that hold the brake calipers aren't perfect. They hold the caliper a little too far away from the rotor so the furthest away (from the rotor) part of the brake pad doesn't make contact with the rotor. The brackets are also a little crooked. If doing this again, I would have tried to bend the brackets (so the calipers mount straight on the rotors) before calling the install done.

Pros:
-Checking and changing pads is easy and quick.
-The semi float 14 bolt relies on clips (similar to the 10 bolt) to hold the axles in - with the disc kit installed, the rotor will keep your axle in place if the clip fails.

It has been a while since I bought my kit. Hopefully they have improved by now. GM's manufacturing tolerances/practices seemed to be a bit unpredictable during the time that these trucks were built. The majority of the aftermarket company's parts that I have purchased required a welder and grinder to make them work right - add that all together and it might be a project...

I don't know if these discs are better than drums, as my oem rear brakes were bad when I bought the truck.

I don't know how your front to rear proportioning will work because I removed my abs and added a wilwood adjustable proportioning valve at the same time as the disc kit.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I call rear disc brakes "Rich Man's C-clip eliminators!

I want to get a Lug Nut 4X4 kit for my duallies. They were nice enough to tell me the applications of the rotors and calipers so I could source them from work and buy the rest from them.

I like how 4 wheel disc feels and the maintenance is much easier too!

Now for some money and time!

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put their kit on my 3500 with 14bolt FF and it was easy. Unbolted everything and bolted all the new on.

I didn't do e brake calipers so I can answer for that part.

But make sure your able to bleed abs module if your truck is a later model.

Ttoyota

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the kit without e brake on my k2500, which has the semi float axle.

Cons:
-I had to pull the axles out and grind a small amount of casting flash off of the inside of both axles to allow the rotors to sit flat.
-The brackets that hold the brake calipers aren't perfect. They hold the caliper a little too far away from the rotor so the furthest away (from the rotor) part of the brake pad doesn't make contact with the rotor. The brackets are also a little crooked. If doing this again, I would have tried to bend the brackets (so the calipers mount straight on the rotors) before calling the install done.

Pros:
-Checking and changing pads is easy and quick.
-The semi float 14 bolt relies on clips (similar to the 10 bolt) to hold the axles in - with the disc kit installed, the rotor will keep your axle in place if the clip fails.

It has been a while since I bought my kit. Hopefully they have improved by now. GM's manufacturing tolerances/practices seemed to be a bit unpredictable during the time that these trucks were built. The majority of the aftermarket company's parts that I have purchased required a welder and grinder to make them work right - add that all together and it might be a project...

I don't know if these discs are better than drums, as my oem rear brakes were bad when I bought the truck.

I don't know how your front to rear proportioning will work because I removed my abs and added a wilwood adjustable proportioning valve at the same time as the disc kit.
Thanks, I watched a YouTube video, and the guy mentioned the same thing. He ended up using some washers to offset the bracket a little to allow the brake caliper to float better. Hopefully I won't have to do that.

fisher

Reaction score
Was the YouTube video specifically for the Lugnut 4x4 conversion kit?

If so could you please post a link?
Here is a youtube link. It's a 3-part series.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I'm considering doing the premium conversion myself on a 2000 k2500 14 bolt FF. Don't know about the abs or proportioning issues yet.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a youtube link. It's a 3-part series.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I'm considering doing the premium conversion myself on a 2000 k2500 14 bolt FF. Don't know about the abs or proportioning issues yet.
When I emailed them some time ago the owner told me there would be no proportion problems or anything that would conflict with the ABS but it's been some time. I keep going back and forth on getting disc conversion kits for both of my trucks.