Installing and correctly setting a vortec distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wrote this article about setting a vortec distributor and thought it might be useful for y'all. I wrote it and coded the page on the tail end of a 14 hour graveyard shift, so let me know if you find something that needs correction, my brain starts to get fried at those hours.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/distributor.html
That's a great job I needed help with this if you've never done it it can be hard thanks

Lou Merrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since this is a sticky thread, I will update it with what I did and used to set the cam retard offset just in case someone is searching.
I couldn't get truck to start one day after have driven it the previous day. Counting my blessing as this happened in my driveway at home. Went through all normal diagnosis: spark, fuel, compression, etc. This is a stock vortec 5.7 in a 1996 K1500 Silverado with over 180k. PCM was NOT showing a code
Upon inspection of plugs, wires, cap, and rotor I found about 10* of rotational play in distributor. Probably not the problem but repairing/replacing before it becomes a problem. Sure enough the distributor gear was showing unacceptable wear. Cap and rotor didn't look that bad. Couldn't find a melonized gear in stock anywhere local so opted for a Spectra Premium GM01 from Oriellys down the street in stock. It will end up being a spare when I rebuild the original because I don't trust the parts these aftermarket units. This one had the aluminum body though and a new cast iron gear.
Assured #1 cyl. @ tdc on compression stroke and rotor pointing at #1 spark tower, marked distributor body and intake manifold and guesstimated the mark onto the new dizzy to find a ballpark which ended up being pretty close.
I have the BAFX Bluetooth adapter for $16 on Amazon:
You must be registered for see images attach

I purchased DashCommand off Google Play for $10 and the extended GM PID's from Palmer Performance (within the app) for an additional $10:

For good measure and another tool (but not necessary just looks cool and is handy) I purchased Torque Pro off of Google Play also and set it so I could read it through the windshield from outside the truck:

As you can see, I'm not plugged in but everything works in the DashCommand application and I have a reading of -6* on cam retard offset @ 1100 rpm. I have yet to try the Torque Pro app but looks cool doesn't it?
Now I have a running truck that I can pull in the heated garage (19* in Ohio in January) and continue my diagnostic into what happened and why and what else can I do to improve the engine.
I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since this is a sticky thread, I will update it with what I did and used to set the cam retard offset just in case someone is searching.
I couldn't get truck to start one day after have driven it the previous day. Counting my blessing as this happened in my driveway at home. Went through all normal diagnosis: spark, fuel, compression, etc. This is a stock vortec 5.7 in a 1996 K1500 Silverado with over 180k. PCM was NOT showing a code
Upon inspection of plugs, wires, cap, and rotor I found about 10* of rotational play in distributor. Probably not the problem but repairing/replacing before it becomes a problem. Sure enough the distributor gear was showing unacceptable wear. Cap and rotor didn't look that bad. Couldn't find a melonized gear in stock anywhere local so opted for a Spectra Premium GM01 from Oriellys down the street in stock. It will end up being a spare when I rebuild the original because I don't trust the parts these aftermarket units. This one had the aluminum body though and a new cast iron gear.
Assured #1 cyl. @ tdc on compression stroke and rotor pointing at #1 spark tower, marked distributor body and intake manifold and guesstimated the mark onto the new dizzy to find a ballpark which ended up being pretty close.
I have the BAFX Bluetooth adapter for $16 on Amazon:

I purchased DashCommand off Google Play for $10 and the extended GM PID's from Palmer Performance (within the app) for an additional $10:

For good measure and another tool (but not necessary just looks cool and is handy) I purchased Torque Pro off of Google Play also and set it so I could read it through the windshield from outside the truck:

As you can see, I'm not plugged in but everything works in the DashCommand application and I have a reading of -6* on cam retard offset @ 1100 rpm. I have yet to try the Torque Pro app but looks cool doesn't it?
Now I have a running truck that I can pull in the heated garage (19* in Ohio in January) and continue my diagnostic into what happened and why and what else can I do to improve the engine.
I hope this helps someone.
So that OBDII dongle, and Torque Pro with GM add on? Totaling about 35-40 bucks? I can do that. Since installing my motor I've had a P1345, I did not replace the timing set but took it off, and I think there is just too much slop there. I have tried to go forward/exact/back a tooth on the distributor and can't get it right. Have the timing set going to swap that out, and then retry with the distributor. Just need something that will read it. If Torque Pro and that dongle will do it then I'm ordering now.

Lou Merrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So that OBDII dongle, and Torque Pro with GM add on? Totaling about 35-40 bucks? I can do that.
Actually, I haven't played with the Torque Pro app yet.
I can confirm that DashCommand with extra GM PID's work.

This is my end result. I'm good with that.

Lou Merrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1952chevy, don't forget, the reading for cam offset only sets at engine speeds over 1000 rpm. The reading I just posted was at 1258 rpm. Checked it 3 times before I tightened the hold down on distributor.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually, I haven't played with the Torque Pro app yet.
I can confirm that DashCommand with extra GM PID's work.

This is my end result. I'm good with that.

1952chevy, don't forget, the reading for cam offset only sets at engine speeds over 1000 rpm. The reading I just posted was at 1258 rpm. Checked it 3 times before I tightened the hold down on distributor.

My bad, just ordered the tool, and once it arrives I'll determine which software I want to get. Seems that Torque Pro should work though. I've heard really good things about it overall.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the free version of Torque first. I never tried it on my Suburban, but it's not terribly neutered for being the free version.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, so I've been using both apps since 2014....

Both are useful, both have their pros and cons (UI, PIDs available, etc...)

I use dash command for the cam retard offset setting and datalogging (well, before i got HPtuners i did). I use Torque pro for about everything else.

So, eventually y'all will probably be using both... The cam retard offset in torque pro doesn't work for the black box... Or maybe it's the 0411.

Either way they'll probably get.your money.

First thing you should do in torque pro is set up a screen with your cylinder misfires set up like you're looking at your engine from overhead, also display your knock retard.

First thing you should do in dash command is get the cam retard offset PID displayed (and write down the degrees while driving) and also knock retard.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got the reader today, and downloaded DashCommand and Torque Pro. DashCommand isn't working at all for me, created an account, but I can't login or change my password. That's as far as I got with it.

Torque Pro worked. I manually added the PID for the CMP Offset and it seems to be working. I am trying to learn/understand the App a little more. I really like what if offers so far though.

OK, so I've been using both apps since 2014....

Both are useful, both have their pros and cons (UI, PIDs available, etc...)

I use dash command for the cam retard offset setting and datalogging (well, before i got HPtuners i did). I use Torque pro for about everything else.

So, eventually y'all will probably be using both... The cam retard offset in torque pro doesn't work for the black box... Or maybe it's the 0411.

Either way they'll probably get.your money.

First thing you should do in torque pro is set up a screen with your cylinder misfires set up like you're looking at your engine from overhead, also display your knock retard.

First thing you should do in dash command is get the cam retard offset PID displayed (and write down the degrees while driving) and also knock retard.
I feel dumb asking, but can you walk me through how to set up the misfire stuff? You can PM me if that's easier. Disregard I figured it out

Last edited: