Installing and correctly setting a vortec distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calderone

Reaction score
We are having the same problem on the 96 Yukon, can't set the timing correctly , bought a cheap EML327 works great but none
of the software reads the cam retard parameter, any updates? Thanks !

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We are having the same problem on the 96 Yukon, can't set the timing correctly , bought a cheap EML327 works great but none

You need an OBDlink MX scanner with Dash command, with licenses, to view Cam retard via your phone.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score

You need to down load ScanXL it has the GM PIDs in it. Here is a free copy. Or buy it .
You need to use a bit torrent client to download it. Follow the direction after you download it to make it a fully registered copy of the program.
I can vouch for it to say 100% that it works . I just re-timed my truck using this exact copy and an elm27 dongle installed on my laptop.
https://kat.cr/scanxl-professional-v3-5-1-t10287542.html

Last edited:

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah cmp is the cam retard offset, but its different than the actual timing advance value.

the advance shows the computer controlled timing spark advance for the spark, the spark advance that you see in that pic will vary based on RPM and airflow from the PCM's spark map and other calculations from the PCM, since the spark advance is fully PCM controlled in the vortecs, reading that value from the scanner won't help you set the distributor at all.

the CMP retard offset is a reading of the CMP sensor that detects the offset of the distributor position itself. which is what needs to be monitored while setting the distributor position. you want it at 0-2* at ~1000-1200 RPM....

I suppose that in order to avoid 3rd degree burns the distributor hold-down clamp should be loosened prior to starting/warming the engine and then re-torqued after the engine cools (after this procedure is completed). This isn't specifically addressed in the procedures that I've found so far...

OR am I missing something really obvious? I mean is there an offset socket adapter or specialized ratchet you guys used to get under the dizzy while the engine is super hot?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose that in order to avoid 3rd degree burns the distributor hold-down clamp should be loosened prior to starting/warming the engine and then re-torqued after the engine cools (after this procedure is completed). This isn't specifically addressed in the procedures that I've found so far...

OR am I missing something really obvious? I mean is there an offset socket adapter or specialized ratchet you guys used to get under the dizzy while the engine is super hot?

Wear long sleeves and gloves. You could make a distributor wrench specifically for the vortec engine by heating and bending a wrench to suit, but I've only ever used a long box end or flex head ratcheting wrench and dealt with the heat. As a mechanic, you don't often have a choice to work on the engine only while cold.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to down load ScanXL it has the GM PIDs in it. Here is a free copy. Or buy it .
You need to use a bit torrent client to download it. Follow the direction after you download it to make it a fully registered copy of the program.
I can vouch for it to say 100% that it works . I just re-timed my truck using this exact copy and an elm27 dongle installed on my laptop.
https://kat.cr/scanxl-professional-v3-5-1-t10287542.html

Did you get a virus? And does it take care of the pro version as well as the enhanced PIDs?

I have the ELM327 usb and I spent $50 on the OBD Auto Doctor assuming it had the cam offset. Wrong. Blew $50 bucks (of course that wasn't the first time I've blown money on my truck for no reason...). Anyway, I guess I'll find a shop around here to check the cam offset. I'm sure an hour of labor at a shop is less than the $179 it'll for software licenses.

IROCmenace

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been mentioned but the phone app Dashcommand will read CMP retard. You just need a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. It reads more parameters than I will use.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been mentioned but the phone app Dashcommand will read CMP retard. You just need a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. It reads more parameters than I will use.

Only six posts above yours and 5mo ago, yes... yes it was.