Info on Midpipe/Catback Fittment for 99 2DR Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

no cigar

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm replacing the midpipe/cats on my 2 door sometime soon. I got under the truck and noticed that I had a single input muffler and Christ, the MF 93603 is ridiculously expensive! Even Amazon is saying over $900. This would appear that it is because it has California emissions. I'm in Texas and I want that crap gone.

I suppose from where I'm standing now, I'm going to need a catback as well, correct?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it the old body 99? I know they mixed body styles that year. But sounds like you have a 305, which uses one cat. You could put duals on it, since want to replace cat back anyways. I have Jegs off-road down pipes on my two vehicles, no cats, bolts on to stock pipes and Summit shorty headers. Then could get simple cat back exhaust.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the pipes on your truck still in reasonable condition?

Buy a couple of $80 generic monolithic cats, have the shop weld 'em in place. Don't forget the O2 sensors. Might as well do all four unless you've got evidence that they've been replaced recently.

If the pipes are in OK condition, you wouldn't need a "catback".

All this depends on how good the existing exhaust system is.

Even if they charge you $100 per cat, ($200) and $200 for the sensors, and $300 labor, $700 total, that's still way better than $900+ and you still need O2 sensors and then pay to get it all installed.

no cigar

Reaction score
Is it the old body 99? I know they mixed body styles that year. But sounds like you have a 305, which uses one cat. You could put duals on it, since want to replace cat back anyways. I have Jegs off-road down pipes on my two vehicles, no cats, bolts on to stock pipes and Summit shorty headers. Then could get simple cat back exhaust.

Mine is an OBS. It definitely came with the Vortec and MPI though. It has a cat for each bank and crosses over under the trans and Y's off to the pass. side. It goes 'single-in' to the muffler and single out.

Are the pipes on your truck still in reasonable condition?

Buy a couple of $80 generic monolithic cats, have the shop weld 'em in place. Don't forget the O2 sensors. Might as well do all four unless you've got evidence that they've been replaced recently.

If the pipes are in OK condition, you wouldn't need a "catback".

All this depends on how good the existing exhaust system is.

Even if they charge you $100 per cat, ($200) and $200 for the sensors, and $300 labor, $700 total, that's still way better than $900+ and you still need O2 sensors and then pay to get it all installed.

The pipe doesn't have any holes in it, but is insanely restrictive. The crossover that goes under the trans looks like it's been compressed into an oblong profile. Keeping it and welding in cats is out of the question.

I have verified with the RPO code that it has the California emissions. God knows what else is on the truck that makes it run like crap. From what I can tell, I just want that entire system off. The expensive Magnaflow pipe looks to be that way because it is for the California emissions.