In need of 4x4 problem help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_chevy

Reaction score
Mind if I ask how you are verifying that the front diff isn't engaging?

Take a strong magnet and plug it out to verify that it is. While you are at it jack up the right front tire and then take a punch that is long enough to reach into the housing and push the front axle engagement fork in and see if the axle locks. Have the truck in 4WD and if the axle locks you should NOT be able to turn the RF tire.

I tried this method

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Well then, If the RF tire is the only one that is elevated AND the T case is in 4WD and the front drive shaft is not able to be turned, some thing in the front diff internals is broken.

94_chevy

Reaction score
Well then, If the RF tire is the only one that is elevated AND the T case is in 4WD and the front drive shaft is not able to be turned, some thing in the front diff internals is broken.
I was hoping it wouldn’t be internal but that’s gonna have to wait till I get the money and time to drop the diff and replace it. Any recommendations on buying a used front diff??

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I was hoping it wouldn’t be internal but that’s gonna have to wait till I get the money and time to drop the diff and replace it. Any recommendations on buying a used front diff??

I would pull the right side axle tube off from the diff while the diff is still in the truck and see if the problem is in the engagement fork/lock collar before I would write the whole diff off..
It is a few hours of time,a bit of sealer and about a pint of gear lube to find out if that is the problem.

94_chevy

Reaction score
I would pull the right side axle tube off from the diff while the diff is still in the truck and see if the problem is in the engagement fork/lock collar before I would write the whole diff off..
It is a few hours of time,a bit of sealer and about a pint of gear lube to find out if that is the problem.
Would it be possible to remove it without having to unbolt the outer axle from the hub?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be able to leave the axles in...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Edit: sorry, misread your post and thought you were talking about dropping the whole differential down.

94_chevy

Reaction score
Should be able to leave the axles in...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Edit: sorry, misread your post and thought you were talking about dropping the whole differential down.
No prob. Just trying to find a away to pull the passenger inner axle tube without pulling the outer axle from the hub. Trying to do the least amount of work