I'm in love with my 90 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeinthepnw

Reaction score
Haven't had it long, just returned from a 600 mile round trip to pick up a camper shell that I love - I love the raised roof and "skylights"..Apparently this makes me an old man lol. But it required crossing over the Cascade mountains twice to get it - other than gas mileage, the truck ran and drove great, it has a newer 355 and TH400, I like the TH400, but man another gear would be nice for gas mileage lol. Truck like all of them is going to be a work in process. But the general bones are solid, rust free etc. I've always loved the GMT400 and this isn't my first, likely won't be my last but I can see myself keeping this one for a while.

Somebody asked me yesterday to do a cold start video because I mentioned it had hooker long tubes, true duals, no cats etc - I did make the video but it got a little more in depth/lengthier than just a cold start video lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a white noise machine to help me sleep (dog unt wife snore ) it sounds just like my German U Boat setting.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Nice truck! Do you know what gear ratio you currently have? You said 70mph at 3200rpm, if you have a 28ish" tire diameter that leaves you closest to 3.73.

Thats a good general use gear usually recommended for OD transmissions. But depending on your use it may be easier or more beneficial to go down numerically in the gear ratio. Its a 2wd so you can probably find somebody with a lower numerical gear rear end that is looking for a 3.73 that you can swap for free.

That is of course you think that you'll be running a lot of empty highway miles.

dudeinthepnw

Reaction score
Nice truck! Do you know what gear ratio you currently have? You said 70mph at 3200rpm, if you have a 28ish" tire diameter that leaves you closest to 3.73.

Thats a good general use gear usually recommended for OD transmissions. But depending on your use it may be easier or more beneficial to go down numerically in the gear ratio. Its a 2wd so you can probably find somebody with a lower numerical gear rear end that is looking for a 3.73 that you can swap for free.

That is of course you think that you'll be running a lot of empty highway miles.

I need to find out - RPO codes are unfortunately missing out of the glove box - I do a lot of longer driving and have already tossed around the idea of looking into 3.23s or something in that range to re-gear. Lots of longer trips to go camping etc - so the better fuel mileage would definitely be welcomed!

Texasdeere

Reaction score
Nice truck! Unfortunately it was a year or two later before the 2500 and 3500's got overdrives.

You most likely have 3.73's in it

If you weren't going to pull much with it I would go 3.08's but you might have to change the carrier out to do so.

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice truck! I'm in Oregon as well and have a '99 C2500 Classic long bed in the same exact trim with the same wheels. I use it to haul a 3500 lb. Lance Camper and it does very well. I am impressed with the series as well. P