Ignorance is Bliss.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The IAC is located on the throttle body itself, on the passenger side of the truck. It’s the big one you can remove with a crescent wrench, and also has an electrical connection with four wires in it.

Disconnect the connector first, then unscrew it, and proceed to clean it. Now I don’t know the exact procedure for cleaning, but I am pretty sure that I only replaced mine 3.5 years ago. I think it was $50, but I think there’s a way to clean it.

My single biggest tip when you are to the point of removing and replacing the throttle body assembly, take great care when you are reconnecting the fuel lines, as it’s very easy to cross thread the fittings. I went through three before I realized I was rushing the job and screwing things up. What happens is you wind up having to find another in the salvage yard and rebuild it all over again.

Duly noted! Thanks man! I brought my inquiry as to what sensor it might be to my dad and he agreed it was the temp sensor so that's good. It's functioning for now but I aim to replace it because even if it's working, having anything I KNOW is broken just drives me nuts haha.

I'll be sure to take my time with her, as I'm to the point that I don't have a whole lot of money to spend; so I'm trying to prioritize by necessity as best I can until probably next month when I can get enough side cash together to do a TBI rebuild and such.

I sure appreciate all your input!

Last edited:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Anytime, I enjoy helping others with what I know.

There’s almost no bolts I haven’t touched on my 94, and I have had it 4 years in August. I have done probably 95% of the work myself, and the remaining 5% is the engine rebuilt, transmission overhauled, and the front and rear axles rebuilt, oh and a new windshield too.

I also take pride in the fact that I tried to repurpose salvage yard parts where and when I could.

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anytime, I enjoy helping others with what I know.

There’s almost no bolts I haven’t touched on my 94, and I have had it 4 years in August. I have done probably 95% of the work myself, and the remaining 5% is the engine rebuilt, transmission overhauled, and the front and rear axles rebuilt, oh and a new windshield too.

I also take pride in the fact that I tried to repurpose salvage yard parts where and when I could.

I hope you stay in touch muh man, that gives me hope. The mere thought of taking this dud of a truck, and personally rebuilding everything myself, turning it into the truck it deserves to be, and to have just pride in knowing not everyone can do that lol. So I'm determined to learn.

My biggest disadvantage is a lacking of tools. I've got Most standard wrenches and sockets, but lack many metrics; no air compressors or power tools. Minus my Mil 8 impact drill, which comes in handy occasionally (most parts are so rusted that everything has to be done by hand). But damn it I'ma do this! lol.

Half the time I feel like that damn Thomas the train show my kid used to watch; "I think I can I think I can" lol. Luckily, I seem to be grasping everything I read so it really helps with my confidence. Last thing I need is to build something myself then have the damn thing blow up on me or something stupid lol; because that'd be my luck. Determined to pay attention, learn, and pass on.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Check out pawn shops or Facebook marketplace for tool deals on used stuff and then there’s harbor freight for new stuff. I’m running the HF upright air compressor and 1/2” drive impact. Not all their tools are great, but they work in a pinch. Then with everything else made in China these days, you really just end up looking for the best deal.

I have had really great luck buying parts from eBay, but some people haven’t. I price match like crazy, and that’s how I wind up buying on eBay. Free shipping is my first preference on that site, my next one is Amazon, then the local parts store(s). Rock auto comes through on some parts, but you have to watch the shipping charges there as it can cost more combined compared to other places.

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd checked out Ebay regarding Lighted Cab Visors but they want almost as much for used as I could buy one from Summit for new. Figure if I'm going to pay that much, I might as well try keeping an eye out on the local pick n' pull for $25-30. I just hate the competition online.

I'll have to look into Harbor Freight. Been so focused on doing things I can get done by hand first lol; it's an addiction.... I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose. But I figure it'll mean more to me in the end. Working on this truck is like trying to work all the **** out in my life to get this far lol. I consider it a challenge hahaha :head3:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
A few posts ago you mentioned you have a Harley, Whatcha got?

I have 4 in the stable... '04 Dyna, '74 Ironhead, '72 Ironhead, and '46 45" Flathead.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
- 70% casual users or lurkers
- 20% well intentioned non pro mechanic level users with help and suggestions that hit well above the standard Internet rates for useful and accurate vs ignorant and useless. Great bunch but take with grain of salt and confirm with the next group.
- 9% shadtree mechanic or above skill and knowledge level users. Give great and helpful advice. The meat of this site. Listen and respect.
- 1% know-it-alls and *****. Will comment on everything. Usually derogatory or condescending. Validity of their advice and knowledge has a hit rate no better or less than the 20% group above. Best advice. Ignore their comments and advice, do not engage.

I'm somewhere in that 20 percent, I help with what I know and do what I can but I'm definitely not the first person you should come to with stuff I haven't done in the past, if that makes sense.

I can respect doing what you want with your truck. I saved mine from a crusher and started with the intentions of lowering it since it was only a 2WD, but I started to toy with the idea of a lift kit and before I knew it I was 4" higher off the ground on 32s. However my truck's been out of service for about three months now since life decided to hit me in the face all at once, but luckily this isn't a high school project that I have to meet due dates on or anything like that. Just throw a couple of dollars at it here and there, update my build thread that probably won't be viewed all that much, then drive/enjoy it until it inevitably breaks again.

The Facebook group isn't really representative of the forums. People get this weird superiority complex on social media where they wholeheartedly believe they're better than everyone, and will become completely condescending over a simple question. That 1 percent on here is about 95 percent on the group. I'd avoid Facebook in general at this point.

But yeah, we welcome all types of people here. Whether you're lifting, lowering, squatting, restoring or just cruising around in a heap on the weekends because driving a nice new car every day to work in the city gets boring, we're pretty happy to have ya. As long as you don't start asking how to lift the rear of your truck without a shackle flip or blocks, then go on a rant about how everyone on here is ignorant and start talking about "ASE certifications", then you should be okay;)

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few posts ago you mentioned you have a Harley, Whatcha got?

I have 4 in the stable... '04 Dyna, '74 Ironhead, '72 Ironhead, and '46 45" Flathead.

Yessir, got a 2015 FXDB. Vance & Hines Big Shots, SE Hi-Flo Air Cleaner FP3, OG Solenoid plunge start, FLH bags and a JD Customs DXT fairing and grip guards for breaking the wind off my hands in cold or rainy weather. Crash bar and highway pegs for comfort on the long rides, day maker headlight. Used to have stereo setup but yanked it after about a year due to being cheap ****. It's my dyna bagger lol

The King is one of my dads.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm somewhere in that 20 percent, I help with what I know and do what I can but I'm definitely not the first person you should come to with stuff I haven't done in the past, if that makes sense.

I can respect doing what you want with your truck. I saved mine from a crusher and started with the intentions of lowering it since it was only a 2WD, but I started to toy with the idea of a lift kit and before I knew it I was 4" higher off the ground on 32s. However my truck's been out of service for about three months now since life decided to hit me in the face all at once, but luckily this isn't a high school project that I have to meet due dates on or anything like that. Just throw a couple of dollars at it here and there, update my build thread that probably won't be viewed all that much, then drive/enjoy it until it inevitably breaks again.

The Facebook group isn't really representative of the forums. People get this weird superiority complex on social media where they wholeheartedly believe they're better than everyone, and will become completely condescending over a simple question. That 1 percent on here is about 95 percent on the group. I'd avoid Facebook in general at this point.

But yeah, we welcome all types of people here. Whether you're lifting, lowering, squatting, restoring or just cruising around in a heap on the weekends because driving a nice new car every day to work in the city gets boring, we're pretty happy to have ya. As long as you don't start asking how to lift the rear of your truck without a shackle flip or blocks, then go on a rant about how everyone on here is ignorant and start talking about "ASE certifications", then you should be okay;)

Hahaha, yea people tend to do that **** on facebook just about everywhere. I'm using the group on FB atm to find locals to hit the trails; and it gives me **** to do while I'm working lol.

I fit in the "I dont know what I'm doing, but I'ma do it anyway" % lol. I do a ton of research and then dive in once I feel equip with the proper knowledge. I've needed extra hands in some cases though. Had to have help with the idler and pitman arms from my dad, but we got em out.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
As long as you don't start asking how to lift the rear of your truck without a shackle flip or blocks, then go on a rant about how everyone on here is ignorant and start talking about "ASE certifications", then you should be okay;)

.... or try to 'crowdfund' your 'restoration' :rolleyes:

Edit, in case your wondering we've had a couple good flame threads on here.:893Chainsaw-Smilie-