Ignorance is Bliss.

Discussion in 'Member Trucks' started by BlueCollar89, May 6, 2019.

1. JCribb

JCribb Old Army truck mechanic

Yes I was, sorry I confused ya.

I reread my comment, and I noticed that I forgot a word or two to make it clearer.

2. BlueCollar89

BlueCollar89 OBS Enthusiast

Lol its all good, I'm easily confused sometimes haha. I appreciate all your advice! Ill keep y'all posted. Shocks tomorrow.

3. RichLo

RichLo E I E I O

Just a correction the low 1st was only in 92-94 and 95 started the higher (more streetable) 1st gear but 95 came with the external slave which IMO was the best NV4500 made.

NV3500 and NV4500 are the same length thus interchangeable but I have not looked into a auto to manual swap so I am unsure how long the 4l60e is. You may want to research that first. If it is a different length then you will need driveshafts from the same body style truck as yours also. RCLB, ECSB, etc...

BlueCollar89 and JCribb like this.
  4. Tachyon

Tachyon OBS Enthusiast

I'd throw in:

• Change the fuel filter.
    • check the plugs see what they're telling you or if they need replaced.
    • I can't quite make out what year it is from that font, but if it has the multiport FI rather than the straight TBI, and has the original fuel spider, put that on your list of things to replace next time you have the manifold off. Meanwhile, run some powerful fuel cleaner through the system.
    • fuel pumps aren't known for their quality or long life in these.
    • try the seafoam intake fogger trick.

BlueCollar89 and JCribb like this.
  5. Tachyon

Tachyon OBS Enthusiast

knock sensor as far as I can tell

BlueCollar89 likes this.
  6. BlueCollar89

So the shocks showed up yesterday. Glad they did too. Located my exhaust leak lol. One of the exhaust support brackets rotted entirely around the weld, so there's a huge hole gaping where the support used to be. I don't know how to weld, but my buddy's got a welder here :boxing:. Ok, so I'm not going to learn to weld on my chevy lol, but I'll get there. Probably track down a mask to borrow and ask my dad to swing by and weld it up if possible. Suppose worse case scenario I could use that exhaust patch tape shit; heard it works in a pinch.

Would a hole like that (maybe 0.5x3 inches) cause my spitting and sputtering/dropping in RPM occasionally in lower gears?

7. PlayingWithTBI

PlayingWithTBI Desert Old Guy

How close is it to your O2 sensor?

8. BlueCollar89

It's about 6-8 inches after my glass pack (also ancient). After painting up my rims today (see build thread for update), I decided to utilize the can to fix the exhaust leak. I cut both ends off the can and cut it down the middle so I could wrap it around the exhaust and hose clamp it down. Haven't tested to see if it made any difference in regards to the RPM dip. Pops thinks it likely won't make any difference. But I'll stop hearing that damn noise lol.

9. PlayingWithTBI

PlayingWithTBI Desert Old Guy

Probably not if the leak is that far away, oh well...

10. BlueCollar89

my little clasp fix actually made more noise than before, so I ended up using some gasket maker goop around the hole then clamped down directly around it. Had to trim up the cover a bit, but I think it got rid of the sound haha.