Ignorance is Bliss.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol its all good, I'm easily confused sometimes haha. I appreciate all your advice! Ill keep y'all posted. Shocks tomorrow.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Just a correction the low 1st was only in 92-94 and 95 started the higher (more streetable) 1st gear but 95 came with the external slave which IMO was the best NV4500 made.

NV3500 and NV4500 are the same length thus interchangeable but I have not looked into a auto to manual swap so I am unsure how long the 4l60e is. You may want to research that first. If it is a different length then you will need driveshafts from the same body style truck as yours also. RCLB, ECSB, etc...

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not sure what all you’ve done to it so far, but here’s where I would look at first.

(1) I would probably look into cleaning the throttle body system including the idle air control valve (IAC for short if you didn’t already know). (2) Check out the throttle position sensor for the acceptable voltage range. (3) change the fuel filter <— the absolute cheapest other than carburetor cleaner.

After this see if you can replicate the problem you spoke of and then we can poke at this bear some more.

I'd throw in:

• Change the fuel filter.
  • check the plugs see what they're telling you or if they need replaced.
  • I can't quite make out what year it is from that font, but if it has the multiport FI rather than the straight TBI, and has the original fuel spider, put that on your list of things to replace next time you have the manifold off. Meanwhile, run some powerful fuel cleaner through the system.
  • fuel pumps aren't known for their quality or long life in these.
  • try the seafoam intake fogger trick.

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, while attempting to locate what I thought was the IAC; I broke this damn thing (was so dried out it just fell off). I'm not sure what it is; but I'd say it'd be smart to get a new one as the connector just fell right off. I was able to reconnect it, but it's no longer water proof so I'm a bit concerned. Can't imagine it being too expensive, just don't know what it is =(

And as you can tell by the oil, yes I was dumb enough to think this was the IAC xP. Live and learn I suppose.
You must be registered for see images attach

On a side note, I got a 5th wheel tailgate for $15 lol, can't beat that. Wanted it so I could be lazy and just tell the dog to load up lol!

You must be registered for see images attach
knock sensor as far as I can tell

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the shocks showed up yesterday. Glad they did too. Located my exhaust leak lol. One of the exhaust support brackets rotted entirely around the weld, so there's a huge hole gaping where the support used to be. I don't know how to weld, but my buddy's got a welder here :boxing:. Ok, so I'm not going to learn to weld on my chevy lol, but I'll get there. Probably track down a mask to borrow and ask my dad to swing by and weld it up if possible. Suppose worse case scenario I could use that exhaust patch tape ****; heard it works in a pinch.

Would a hole like that (maybe 0.5x3 inches) cause my spitting and sputtering/dropping in RPM occasionally in lower gears?

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How close is it to your O2 sensor?

It's about 6-8 inches after my glass pack (also ancient). After painting up my rims today (see build thread for update), I decided to utilize the can to fix the exhaust leak. I cut both ends off the can and cut it down the middle so I could wrap it around the exhaust and hose clamp it down. Haven't tested to see if it made any difference in regards to the RPM dip. Pops thinks it likely won't make any difference. But I'll stop hearing that damn noise lol.

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
my little clasp fix actually made more noise than before, so I ended up using some gasket maker goop around the hole then clamped down directly around it. Had to trim up the cover a bit, but I think it got rid of the sound haha.