Ignition woes *fixed*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So as i went out to knock off the 7 inches of snow that accumulated while I was at work till 0700, and warm up the truck I ran into a little issue. The key would not turn past the run position. No matter how much I jimmied, wiggled, or hit the column the damn thing wouldn’t turn to start. Was able to pop the lower part of the column sleeve that pulls the cable for the gear indicator and use a screwdriver to push on the rod that runs up the left side of the column to get her started. Once at home I shut it down and same issue won’t turn past run position. I’m sure the tumbler is junk since I haven’t had to have the key in it to start it since I got it, and the key can be pulled when it’s running. Question now is it worth the effort to try and take the column apart and put a new tumbler in and clean everything, or should I just put a start button on the dash? Also anyone know where to tap into the wires on a 1990 C1500 for the starter button?

Side note considering she’s 2wd with an empty bed didn’t have many issues on the road getting home. Only broke loose when I wanted it to and romped on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Pull the steering wheel and lock plate and see what is broken. It is not that big of a job.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The is for the tips! I’ll pop the wheel of once some of the snow melts and I’m not worried about loosing feeling in my fingers while working on it.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tumbler sounds like toast, they do go bad; I've replaced a few in the 94-older columns because they wouldn't go to all positIons (usually won't turn backwards to ACC)..

Since yours was bad already, you could begin by replacing just that. Inexpensive and fairly quick job. Takes a bit more disassembly to deal with the rack.

Also, ignition switch down on the column tube could be out of adjustment if someone has messed with it prior and the screws got loose.

Finally if you have a tilt column and it's loose at the tilt knuckle address that asap as it is likely the root cause.

Richard

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. Picked up a new ignition lock cylinder from O’reilly’s for $15 and “rented” a steering wheel puller kit. Took about 45 min and the new cylinder is in and working great. Biggest hassle was getting that stupid ring off that holds the spring plate down. That and figuring out where the triangular snap ring above the steering nut landed. Heard it bounce off at least three surfaces in the truck and finally found it somehow landed half under my butt in the drivers seat.
Also discovered why my turn signal will cancel right turns but not left, one of the springs is missing. If I ever have a reason to pull the wheel again I’ll try and remember to get a spring for it.