Ignition switch removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a guide for the ignition switch removal on a 1992 blazer? Everything I find is people doing the lock cylinder and calling it the switch.

Also they're listed with left and right hand brackets, any logic to which one I have or do I need to just pull mine and see?

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to be certain which one yours takes, get your VIN and call your local GM dealer parts department. The switch will be an AC Delco and get the part number from them if you're not ready to buy from them or use that number in a Google search.
I've only changed one...ever! It was on an 88' GMC , been years ago and all I can rember it's on the column under the dash. It has a couple large plugs that connect to it and there is a rod that attaches to it that runs up the column. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Hopefully you have the original key. If you dont, your better off replacing the whole steering column

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP is working on a '92, and the switch, not the tumbler. It's got nothing to do with the key.

Removal/install is dead easy, just not in the most comfortable area to work in. It is on the lower portion of the column near the firewall.

Left hand or right hand bracket has to do with whether it's a tilt or non-tilt column, so just look at the item description. Left hand bracket is for tilt. Right hand bracket is for non-tilt.

Richard

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you have the original key. If you dont, your better off replacing the whole steering column

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

OP is working on a '92, and the switch, not the tumbler. It's got nothing to do with the key.

Removal/install is dead easy, just not in the most comfortable area to work in. It is on the lower portion of the column near the firewall.

Left hand or right hand bracket has to do with whether it's a tilt or non-tilt column, so just look at the item description. Left hand bracket is for tilt. Right hand bracket is for non-tilt.

Richard

Thanks, I'll crawl in there and see what I can find.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was right on top of the column, about halfway down. Had to drop the column but not too terrible. Didn't solve my issue though so it's back to the drawing board for now.

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats the problem with the truck?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk