Ignition Circuit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwolf

Reaction score
I was trying to sort out a wiring problem in the ignition circuit of my 96 Vortec L29-7.4 Lt.
I had the ground off the front of the block, under the alternator, when I accidentally had the ground touch the positive side of the battery. I didn't get spark, instead it actually energized the ignition circuit.

Is that normal or have I found a short to ground?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the ground off the front of the block, under the alternator,

Which "ground" is that specifically? On my 1998, the only "ground" that comes to mind, "under the alternator" as you described it, is the heavy black cable that connects the battery neg to the engine block.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Show us.

How did you come to the conclusion that it "energized the ignition circuit" when you "accidentally had the ground touch the positive side of the battery". What happened, exactly?

You've left out a lot of important details.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm not understanding what happened..... if the ground was disconnected at the engine, how did it bend backwards and touch the postive post on the battery..... or was the battery side disconnected too, and it touched the positve post? If the later, then it shouldn't have done anything since the engine side was disconnected.