If stuck with a healthy L05 TBI... Options for 'go-faster' and improved fuel economy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
should I shave off the TBI ridges around the ports below the fuel meter? What about a different cleaner? If the ridges are removed, should I go with a taller air cleaner or nah, since a no-ridge TBI provides a more direct path for cleaner air?
Waste of time, money, effort, and enthusiasm. The 305 won't pull enough air that the throttle body is a restriction.

I've never seen any dyno proof that the "ultimate TBI mods" does any good whatsoever.

I also figure I should keep the stock air cleaner casing with the zip tube coming from the fender panel for cooler air, right?
Yes. And the hot-air tube to the passenger side exhaust manifold fall/winter/spring if not year-round. Be sure the thermostatic element in the air cleaner snorkel actually works.

Smoother exhaust
Yes.

I may have missed it, what year, engine, and trans do you have?
He doesn't. This is all for a potential vehicle purchase.

However, the SPID decal is in Post 7.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 305 won't pull enough air that the throttle body is a restriction.
He doesn't. This is all for a potential vehicle purchase.
Yeah the reason I'm asking is the title says "healthy L05", that's a 350. Depending on what trans, there's other options for tuning and gaining performance/MPGs, etc. :33:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced that the throttle body is restricted; or that the "ultimate TBI mods" do any good. I say the cylinder head ports choke flow before the throttle body is a problem.
Yes, you're probably right on the stock swirl port heads and up to 4,000 RPM. I seem to remember seeing dyno tests increasing HP/torque with those mods, including shaving the throttle shaft, and running up over 5,000 RPM. I just can't remember where I saw it, I'll have to look someday. With the throttle body bored out to 46mm, you get 650 CFM which will support a 350 up to 6,000 RPM. Then you have to add fuel and adjust timing, yada yada yada, ;)

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Oh, sweet! Thanks, guys! I probably went ahead myself and used AcDelco's RPO decode list that's online and explains nearly all codes on the RPO I got yesterday from a prospective seller of a darn clean L05 '05-to-06 (the weird MY that had the 'new' instrument panel assy without the passenger-side airbag 'gondola', yet still with the transfer case floor shifter).
Aside from 2-3 codes (that are 'Control - sales' something), I gathered this one has the tow package and some beefier options.
As much as I want a Vortec Burb, this one is nearing its rebuild... The top factor with this one it's rust free and got represerved like there's no tomorrow.

@Schurkey - Yep, 3.73 RAR, K1500, funky tow package things in it.

Off topic but I love that color

SpitShine_PL

Reaction score
Oooops. I screwed-up. Yes, 350, not a 305.

Even with a 350, I'm still not convinced that the throttle body is restricted; or that the "ultimate TBI mods" do any good. I say the cylinder head ports choke flow before the throttle body is a problem.

Yes, you're probably right on the stock swirl port heads and up to 4,000 RPM. I seem to remember seeing dyno tests increasing HP/torque with those mods, including shaving the throttle shaft, and running up over 5,000 RPM. I just can't remember where I saw it, I'll have to look someday. With the throttle body bored out to 46mm, you get 650 CFM which will support a 350 up to 6,000 RPM. Then you have to add fuel and adjust timing, yada yada yada, ;)
Indeed, a word of explanation:
I am zeroing in on a minty transition year, which is supposedly a 96, with the transfer case shifter on the floor, no pass-side air bag, and the L05 under the hood.
And yes, I'm still learning. GM newbie here, was a Chrysler/FoMoCo owner before that (well, a Stellantis client for now... I daily a "Kowalsky White" '16 Challenger with the 6-banger Pentastar... Because why not daily that in Europe?).
If the cyl head ports are more of an issue than the TBI horns... Well, I can hear my wallet whining louder, haha.
My idea was to tweak it a bit, engine-wise, before going hard into modding, and I'm still researching this here and on other forums. Which is why I will probably skip the shorty headers concept in favor of, say, Hooker Comp long tubes, as they seem to provide more benefits, not just 'vroom vroom'; tho they might require a tune for the longer transit time to the 02 sensors.
I'm running on a budget here; the car alone, being mint and nearing the end of its 'refresh' (the current owner is now replacing the A/C compressor and finishing detailing of the interior) is gonna run me close to 10k USD. Some might say, "Import a clean one from Cali" - this is gonna run me a figure close to 10k USD and unlike the L05 K1500 I've been talking about, I can only verify the condition of an import once it rolls out of the container at the port in Rotterdam. The L05 is 120 mi away from me and I can always turn my back on it if I see there's something very wrong about it (a chance of which is now very low).
I need to investigate the TB bore mod and the changes in fuel delivery (pump, injectors, I think) and timing it may require.
Sure, why not skip this and go full blastin' with a Holley Sniper tune kit?... Money!

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you decide to got with long tubes you will need to wrap the pipes to keep the gasses hot. Otherwise your O2 will be off. Unless you run a 3 wire heated O2. Also it's un likely you will see much gain from long tubes. You will never turn enough PRM's for them to proving enough scavenging effects.
Also have you drove the truck yet? It may preform well enough for you, that all of this may be a mute point.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you decide to got with long tubes you will need to wrap the pipes to keep the gasses hot. Otherwise your O2 will be off. Unless you run a 3 wire heated O2. Also it's un likely you will see much gain from long tubes. You will never turn enough PRM's for them to proving enough scavenging effects.
Also have you drove the truck yet? It may preform well enough for you, that all of this may be a mute point.
Longer primary length is for low-sped torque, not top-end power. The best headers for torque are tri-y but I do not know if Thorley makes them now.