Idler Arm Removal (2WD This Time)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, the good ones come with that hose. I never know where to mount it either.

Lowburb93

Reaction score
On mine i had a pickle fork with a sledge. Then i used a bigger hammer. Then a 3 ft sledge. Still wouldn't budge. Then used an air hammer with a chisel tip and it came off easy. Hardest part is not dropping the 3 bolts used to hold it in inside the frame. I put some tape on the end of my socket so the bolt would stick to it so i could (carefully) pull them through the access holes in the frame. Reverse to put it back in. Have fun.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wacking it with a hammer will make it bounce, you need a second hammer or heavy chunk of steel to back up the hammer on the opposite side you are hitting on.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Just wacking it with a hammer will make it bounce, you need a second hammer or heavy chunk of steel to back up the hammer on the opposite side you are hitting on.

I have never gotten that to work. All I can figure is that it's mostly 2wd guys that have success with it. I always see it written that the "spring pushes it out"... not on a 4x4. The ball joints are oriented the opposite direction. Maybe if you jacked up the lower control arm, the weight of the knuckle/hub/brakes, and torsion of the upper bushings would be enough pressure with the hammer shock it would come out... The Torsion bars just want to push the taper into the knuckle.