Idler Arm Removal (2WD This Time)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My truck has been sidelined by what I thought was a bad ball joint(s) due to the fact my truck had a horrible passenger side wheel wobble while driving 30-65mph, but after closer inspection it appears the ball joints and pitman arm are fine but it's the idler arm that's about to fall apart. What entails removing a 2WD idler arm? I've seen a lot of 4WD replacement posts and videos but they appear to have a different setup than the 2WD counterpart as far as placement and access points goes. From what I can tell, removing the arm is as simple as removing the arm-to-frame bolts, removing the nut that connects the arm to the center link, pulling it and replacing it with new (after a night of soaking it in PB blaster of course).

Am I missing something here or is it that easy? Definitely ready to get my truck back on the road ASAP!

Thanks all!

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Beautiful, looks like I'll be knocking it out within the next couple of weeks. So ready to not feel like my right wheel is about to fall off :Big Laugh:

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Haha, yes. For me it was an upper ball joint.

That's exactly what I thought too, but my ball joint seems to be nice and sturdy. The idler arm however has a noticable split and gives the entire steering set up a TON of play lol

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The idler arm is a taper fit into the center link and will usually need a few good wacks with a heavy hammer with a hammer backing it up so it doesn't just bounce.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We hit mine with an air hammer and a flat punch/chisel attachment, like a hammer head... didn’t budge... so we hit it with an air hammer and a pickle fork attachment for the air hammer... immediately popped loose.

It reacted to the splitting force of the pickle fork! You can usually rent one of those on the cheap.

I assume you are replacing the arm bracket and the arm?

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
That's correct, this is my '91. Plan is to replace both the bracket and the arm since it appeared to be all in one piece. I've also got a BFH that I can use to get things separated, can't be any worse than the stock spindles were. :p