ID this plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Trying to get my AC working, compressor won't run at all, I found this wire laying on top of the engine, and can't find where it would plug in. It seems to be related to the HVAC, and one wire gets hot, when you turn the blower fan on, other that, I'm lost. I went all over the schematics in my Haynes book, but could not see anywhere these two color wires would come together.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That connector either goes to your high or low side shut-off switch (probably the high side). The high side s/b on the back of the compressor, the low side s/b near your accumulator/drier by the fire wall near the evaporator inlet.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Both high and low already have plugs on them. This plug does look very much like the low pressure plug, but won't reach the switch.

I thought about jumping this one, but don't want to fry anything.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Is one of your compressor plugs for AC fans - the one on the high side line? That plug you are holding should be for the high pressure cutout on the compressor rear (compressor body bottom toward driver's side). I know the 454's had a fan switch on the H/S line. The dk green and dk green with white stripe are for the pressure switch.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Truck has a mechanical fan. I'll look better for a place to plug in on the compressor. I was practically standing on my head checking it over yesterday, but I could have missed something.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Truck has a mechanical fan. I'll look better for a place to plug in on the compressor. I was practically standing on my head checking it over yesterday, but I could have missed something.

Thanks for the responses so far.
No problem, hopefully you'll find it. It may be possible compressor was replaced and sensor wasn't put back in? If so, you can jump the terminals to see if it will run, it won't mess up anything.

Do you by any chance have an auxiliary ac fan? It would be in front of the condenser on driver's side. I have one on mine. That sensor on the H/S line would be a trigger for the aux fan and also the recirc door I believe.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going by memory, but it does kind of look like the connector to the high pressure switch on the back of the compressor. On mine, I believe it is routed from near the ECT sensor/thermostat area, over the compressor and loops in behind kind of where the radiator hose is.

Edit: best picture I could find without having the truck in front of me:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Awesome guys, thank you. I'll check it out when I get home from work this evening, and report back.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
We'll crap. The compressor definitely does not have a plug on the back. While I was checking it out again, I noticed it is a Four Seasons compressor, so it's been changed, and might be the wrong one, which could be why I'm missing a plug in. Was hoping to get lucky, but looks like I'm buying a new compressor.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Kept thinking about this last night, and wound up doing some google searching. I happen to run across a thread on another forum, where the guy had the exact problem as me, extra plug, with nowhere to go with it. After reading through, he finds out the compressor has a port blocked off, and that's where the switch goes. I believe I'm in that same boat. When I was combing over mine yesterday, I seen a spot with a cover, and snap ring, that's got to be where the switch goes, you guys have been telling me about. Going to be the weekend before I can mess with it again, but fingers crossed, a switch and some freon is all I have to buy.