I want to spend money on suspension but no idea what to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it rides rough shocks might not help at all, inless it rides rough because of the shocks. I had Tuff Country shocks on a lifted Tahoe I had years ago. The suspension was well "broke in" so rode nice, the shocks were beyond whooped so was like a wet noodle going down the road. The TC firmed it up, but not to the point it rode rough. ATT, they were only $200 for 4. OffRoadDesign.com is a dealer for them. Prolly will go with these when my Yukon gets SAS'd.

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea why it rides so rough. I've owned these trucks before but completely stock, not ones cranked up 1.25" and 20/33 tires.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, maybe this is a dumb question but since I'm only cranked 1.25" in front, how much will it help the ride if I just get new shocks and keep the torsion key where it is, and add a 1" block in the rear? I'm fine with the current ride height, I prefer it closer to stock. The angles look fine where they are, so really I want to just improve the ride. Can that be done and otherwise leave it alone?
You say 1.25 but was it stock before? I will say it again an off the shelf shock that is valved for a neutral compression/rebound scenario is not going to compensate for the changes in how the suspension works when you crank it no matter the length of shock.

A 1.25 from stock those 33's would still be rubbing like hell. The included shocks in the RCX kit would ride better then what you have now and it's less the the Zone kit.

Lift kits for these trucks have been sorted out 30 years ago and just about everybody is telling you the same thing. These guys are straight up so no matter how many times you ask you're not going to get the answer you're looking for.

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, okay. I appreciate the tough love. I think I missed the point on your previous post, which I just went back and re-read. I appreciate the continued responses; I just want to make sure I'm considering all valid options and understanding the pros/cons. A truck lift was never something I'd have considered until inheriting these brand new wheels and tires, so I'm clearly playing catch-up in the knowledge department. I think I understand better now.

It sounds like it's 4+" or nothing. Since Superlift doesn't seem to make one anymore, and the RCX is 5" vs the Zone at 6", I guess I'm going the RCX 5" route and lowering it to 4". Next question - Rancho 9000 vs Bilstein 51XX vs RCX N3 vs RCX V2 Monotube (+$500 over basic kit price)?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the Rancho 5000s on mine, and they ride nice. It was like a marshmallow when I first got it, turned the clickers 1 or 2 notchs and firmed it up. I think I turned it back but since the motor went last summer I can't remember....

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha, okay. I appreciate the tough love. I think I missed the point on your previous post, which I just went back and re-read. I appreciate the continued responses; I just want to make sure I'm considering all valid options and understanding the pros/cons. A truck lift was never something I'd have considered until inheriting these brand new wheels and tires, so I'm clearly playing catch-up in the knowledge department. I think I understand better now.

It sounds like it's 4+" or nothing. Since Superlift doesn't seem to make one anymore, and the RCX is 5" vs the Zone at 6", I guess I'm going the RCX 5" route and lowering it to 4". Next question - Rancho 9000 vs Bilstein 51XX vs RCX N3 vs RCX V2 Monotube (+$500 over basic kit price)?

Tuff country still makes a 4" lift. I'm not sure how exact that 4" is, I don't know anyone with one, but it's an option if you are really particular about the height. I have the Zone 6" on my truck with the Bilstien 5100 shocks and I love it. The Zone kit seems like it's pretty high quality, especially for the price. Everything has good fit and finish and the truck drives pretty much like it did stock. The Bilsteins really make the truck feel a lot more controlled and the bumps much smoother compared to my old worn out Bilstein 4600s.

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the RC was a 5" lift and you could either crank it down to 4" or add in the add-a-leaf up to 6"? A true 4" lift could be cranked down to 3" and I'm not sure the RCX 4" can do that. I could be wrong.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the RC was a 5" lift and you could either crank it down to 4" or add in the add-a-leaf up to 6"? A true 4" lift could be cranked down to 3" and I'm not sure the RCX 4" can do that. I could be wrong.

It is, the Rough Country is 5", but there is also a company called Tuff country that makes a 4" lift, I don't know if it is exactly 4" though.

Zerio29

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

the RCX Drops the front diff, control arms and steering shaft 5" in both the 6" kit and the 4" kit. The difference is the add-a-leaf in the rear. They give you a 4" lift block for the rear.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Wow guys thanks for all your thoughts, that is exactly what I needed to hear. So you've sold me on 4". I was kind of hesitating about the RCX kits because I wanted to get better shocks and I didn't want to waste money on the kit shocks.

This is the only Zone lift kit I could find, and I don't want to go up 6". https://zoneoffroad.com/products/6-...evygmc-1500-trucks-4wd?variant=33731548971096

Does Superlift not make a kit for our trucks anymore?

So it's only RCX and Zone then, for a 4" lift?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slf-k270/make/chevrolet/model/tahoe/year/1999

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/exp-k1047b/make/chevrolet/model/tahoe/year/1999

are the options Summit Racing have.