I want to replace the Moonie gauges in my 88

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I had a Jimmy with those gauges. I liked them but was told they could be problematic. Mine worked ok for the short time I had the truck.

Ken

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Digital Jimmy gauges...does anyone think this would be possible for an 88??
There's plenty available on ebay and a whole heck of a lot cheaper than the dakota ones....better looking too!
I like my DD gauges in my 88. I bought it about 5 or 6 years ago when it was only ~$450. It has 2 trip odometers, 0-60 and 1/4 mile clock with trap speed and highest RPMs. I can calibrate it for different size tires and gears, etc. Keep in mind these only work in a moonie cluster with gauges, not idiot lights like in a WT model.
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index...t_id=159/category_id=784/mode=prod/prd159.htm

You must be registered for see images attach

Chevy66driver

Reaction score
I'm sure the DDs with well, but cost is so darn high now! And they just look like a simple calculator screen. Not better looking than the moonies if you ask me...The jimmy gauges have some seriously cool looking 80-90s style

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they just look like a simple calculator screen. Not better looking than the moonies if you ask me
Well, they work! It's a matter of opinion if you like them or not. I had the same issue with my moonies - they were dying a slow death. When I priced a rebuilt moonie cluster it was ~$200 more than the DD.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
For $675 those DD gauges better work! Look nice but. HOLY crap that are a lot of money!

I still like the Jimmy digital dash. Wish I knew for sure if they would bolt in. It would be a challenge getting all the wiring to work right but I do like that dash.

Ken

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, haven't been on here in a while. The speedo is GPS and comes with an antenna i just mounted up on the dash near the windshield

giaguaro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did mine in my 90. Used some eBay specials. They aren’t the highest quality gauges but for this old truck they work. And they only cost $180. I had the same problem as you, Speedo was dead, as were the oil and temp gauges yet all had signal right to the cluster. I did have to buy senders for the oil and water to match the impedance of the new gauges. The others hooked right to the factory wiring. I even wired in the dummy lights, brake, ses, alt, oil. It took a little time plus building the cluster but turned out decent.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is this an aftermarket kit?