I want to replace the Moonie gauges in my 88

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Nichols

Reaction score
I just did mine in my 90. Used some eBay specials. They aren’t the highest quality gauges but for this old truck they work. And they only cost $180. I had the same problem as you, Speedo was dead, as were the oil and temp gauges yet all had signal right to the cluster. I did have to buy senders for the oil and water to match the impedance of the new gauges. The others hooked right to the factory wiring. I even wired in the dummy lights, brake, ses, alt, oil. It took a little time plus building the cluster but turned out decent.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You gotta watch out, you may be looking at km/h and celsius temp gauges.

Jon Tyner

Reaction score
They got em in 'Merican as well. Look pretty nice to me! Anything is better than what I'm running now. Only thing that works on my moonies is the speedo and the volts

Markmartin01

Reaction score
If you huck the original cluster keep in mind you will have to find a way to excite the alternator regulator as the charge light in the original cluster completes that circuit.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you huck the original cluster keep in mind you will have to find a way to excite the alternator regulator as the charge light in the original cluster completes that circuit.

I used the brown wire for volts from the cluster the exites the alt by using a resistor across the leads of the indicator led. Also had to use a resistor for the brake warning light as well since there is 3.8v of power at rest and it was enough to illuminate the light

Markmartin01

Reaction score
Both valid points, thanks for the input. Just wanted to make OP aware of the issue before hand so he doesn't have to trial and error through it like I did.

Jon Tyner

Reaction score
all good info. I appreciate it. this will be my first time messing with the wiring aside from easy stuff like doing the 4 light high beam mod on my 98, and running brake controllers and such.

ellessroy

Reaction score
I too am searching for the all elusive "white elephant" needle sweep cluster from a 91 anything as long as it has the same 20 pin connector my 89 "moonie" cluster has. I've gotten a couple from a 92 and 93 and 94 they all have that green plastic layover the opening of the hole and contact when its pushed in. I've seen a 91 with the gauges I've got and want they're just so rare.. im told the 454 as truck gauges are similar and will work..........Anyone, anyone......?

Chevy66driver

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Digital Jimmy gauges...does anyone think this would be possible for an 88??
There's plenty available on ebay and a whole heck of a lot cheaper than the dakota ones....better looking too!
Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk