I want to replace the Moonie gauges in my 88

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jon Tyner

Reaction score
I'd like to replace the Moonie gauges in my 88 (several dont function anymore), and I dont have a grand to spend on Dakotas. Does anyone know what other models or years will be a relatively easy swap? Or maybe a sub $500 new gauge option? I guess thats wishful thinking.

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're lucky enough to find a late 91 model cluster, it will be the easiest swap. Only need to move a couple of wires around on the connector. 92-94 will need the plug replaced completely as it is a different design.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both ways mentioned above is cheapest. Ive done both not hard if you can read wiring diagrams

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did mine in my 90. Used some eBay specials. They aren’t the highest quality gauges but for this old truck they work. And they only cost $180. I had the same problem as you, Speedo was dead, as were the oil and temp gauges yet all had signal right to the cluster. I did have to buy senders for the oil and water to match the impedance of the new gauges. The others hooked right to the factory wiring. I even wired in the dummy lights, brake, ses, alt, oil. It took a little time plus building the cluster but turned out decent.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I just did mine in my 90. Used some eBay specials. They aren’t the highest quality gauges but for this old truck they work. And they only cost $180. I had the same problem as you, Speedo was dead, as were the oil and temp gauges yet all had signal right to the cluster. I did have to buy senders for the oil and water to match the impedance of the new gauges. The others hooked right to the factory wiring. I even wired in the dummy lights, brake, ses, alt, oil. It took a little time plus building the cluster but turned out decent.

Do you have a link to this set?

Thanks!

ken

My gauges still work but it would be cool to upgrade as time progresses.

Frank Compagnon

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You got a th400 transmission in that truck.